Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to speed up Cufon load time?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hey guys! I was wondering how i could speed up the cufon load times. What happens is that, whenever i load the site it takes a long time (2-3 secs) for the cufon to kick in. I am not overusing it, so thats not the issue. The only places im using cufon is in the home (for navigation and box titles) and in the blog page (for post titles). Any help will be greatly appreciated. =D Cheers!

11 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I assume that is because it is accessing the font externally. I recommend visiting this link and contacting them for assistance: http://cufon.shoqolate.com/generate/

Posted · Report post

I am hosting the font in my own server =[

Posted · Report post

Hmm that is odd. Have you tried contacting your web host to see if they are blocking the file in some way?

Posted · Report post

I guess i'll do that...

Posted · Report post

Let us know what they say.

Posted · Report post

Apparently there is nothing blocking the file in any way... maybe its just loading other stuff before the font? I havent added any scripts to the header or footer, so its weird =[

Posted · Report post

I've seen Cufon load this slow before and I'm not sure why it is. The info provided here may provide some helpful insight: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2383244/what-are-some-ways-to-speed-up-cufons-load-time

Posted · Report post

Thanks a lot i will read that post =D

Posted · Report post

Cool, let us know if it helps.

Posted · Report post

I was having this problem too with a flash of the old text before Cufon loaded. The below solution seems to be working for me now. I'll use h1.entry-title here as an example: Add this to CSS: h1.entry-title {visibility: hidden;} then in PageLines Settings / Custom Code / Footer Scripts add: I'm thinking this works because the PL cufon code is wrapped in jQuery(document).ready and most of the site loaded before the Cufon replacement. Now the text I'm replacing becomes visible after the Cufon script runs. Of course, if javascript isn't active on the browser, those titles won't be visible.

Posted · Report post

Sweet! Thats exactly what I needed! Makes perfect sense, but I just didnt think about doing it =D