• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 njumara

njumara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hi Everyone, I'm having a little trouble with the Feature Slider. Let me explain what I used to do in PFPro: 1) Create new post 2) Assign it to the category ID I had in Feature Settings to make it show up in the Slider on the Blog (Posts Page) 3) Assign a "featured image" to be the thumbnail in the blog itself 4) Scroll down to PL Meta settings and upload a Background Image 5) I would upload a feature thumb image as well 6) Publish and I would have a background image that was the correct size to my slider and a separate thumbnail image set under "featured image" Now, I can't seem to get that list of PL Meta Settings on an individual post. The settings appear different, with a list of active sections for a single post page. I no longer have an area to upload a background image and a feature image in the post itself. I do not want the slider on the single post page, so that makes sense why it isn't showing up in the meta settings. I did not activate it. I then went to the Meta Settings / Site Defaults / Features and told it to use post category and assigned the correct category. In the post editing backend page there now appears "Feature Setup Options" All of the information I had prior (the separate background images, thumbnails, and text settings) all appear under this setup box. But the slider is still displaying the "featured image" that is set to the thumbnail as the background image of in the feature slider. I then checked the Meta / Blog / Feature and am still confused. With that set and not site defaults, it seems to override my ability to use posts category to fill the slider. I'm wondering if I have some settings in conflict? I read the docs and found what I copied below but I can't have to use custom css for each blog post I want in the slider. Do I? (please say no) And finally, how can I get Pagelines 2 to recognize my feature setup options and not my featured image? (when I remove the featured image, the pagelines feature bg shows up) Any help is as always appreciated. Thanks, Feature Post Source Background Image If you set your Feature Post Source to "Use Post Category," the post's "Featured Image" will be used as the background image. If your post does not have a "Featured Image", the background will be black. If you do not want your background image to be the "Featured Image", you can easily change it by adding the following custom CSS: #feature_### .feature-wrap {background-image: url("link to background image") !important} Where ### = the div id of that particular Feature Slider. Use a CSS Inspections tool such as Firebug to find the id number. Text Position By default, your blog excerpts will be displayed on the left side of the Feature Slider. To move the excerpts to the right side, add the following custom CSS: #feature_### .fcontent {float: right !important} Remember that ### = the div id of that particular Feature Slider.

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:05 AM

Now, I can't seem to get that list of PL Meta Settings on an individual post.

Are they not appearing below the HTML/Visual Editor at all? The feature slider will need to be active in the Single Post template in order for these settings to appear.

#3 njumara

njumara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

Hi catrina,

Below the HTML Visual Editor I have selected everything from Screen Options above.

So I have:
1) a bunch of stuff not necessary to this conversation
2) A box called "Pagelines Meta Settings"
3) A box called "Feature Setup Options" (it has a small blue box next to the title that says "Single Post"

I didn't add "features" to the "Blog Post" page in "Templates" because I don't want the feature slider to appear on single post page.

I have all the necessary info in the "Feature Setup Options" box and I have the following settings for Meta:

Site Defaults > Features

This was set to nothing, meaning that every box says "-Select-"
Under this setting, the "Feature Setup Options" Box does not appear in the backend of an individual post even though I have that set to the Meta > Blog Post > Features settings below. But it is still calling to my posts and using the "featured image" on the right under tabs.

So, I changed Feature Post Source to Use Post Category and assigned the correct category.

Now, under the HTML/Visual Editor I see the "Feature Setup Options" box.

Blog Post > Features
This is basically set to -Select-. The only thing I changed was:
Feature Post Source > Use Post Category
Post Category (Blog Post Mode Only)) > set to the category I'd like to use.

This isn't seeming to change anything for me and doesn't control whether or not I see the "Feature Setup Options" under the HTML/VE.

Now, the feature slider on my blog page is showing the posts in the assigned category. It does that regardless of the whether I set that in Site Defaults Meta or Blog Post Meta. But Blog Post Meta settings will not give me the Feature Setup Options.

But, it is using the "featured image" (on the right underneath categories, tags, etc.) as the photo for the background image inside the feature slider on my blog page.

When I delete that photo, it goes to the Pagelines black background.

It is not calling to any of the information in the box "Feature Setup Options" including the "Feature Background Image" or the "Feature Thumb (50px by 30px)" I uploaded into the "Feature Setup Options" box.

I know this is a lot to read and I thank everybody for any help. The settings are just confusing me and I want to be clear about what I'm doing to see what the problem is.

Thanks again!

#4 njumara

njumara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

I also want to be clear that I am not referring to "Pagelines Meta Settings" because I do not want to alter the slider on a Single Post Page. I don't want it there at all. The box I am attempting to use is "Feature Setup Options"

#5 njumara

njumara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

Hi,

I thought it might be helpful to illustrate some of the settings to see what the problem is rather than have to read through all of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope this helps to clarify the problem.

#6 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

I think there's some slight confusion here and apologize for it. Actually, everything you're saying is quite correct, however the confusion comes from the difference between individual feature slider setup and category mode. In Category Mode, the feature image is used for the slide, the slide thumb (50x30) and for the post's feature image which will show up on blog pages, search results, categories, archives, etc. The background image you set on the Page Setup for the post in PageLines Meta Settings is for the background of the post and is not used at all in the slider. I realize this is confusing because in the individual feature slider setup, it's the background image that shows as the slide and a separate thumbnail measuring 50x30px is also uploaded. In the Category Mode, the easiest method our developers could provide was to allow the feature image to do everything. The background image is unnecessary in Page Setup unless you want a specific background image for the post. Thus your site is actually working perfectly.

#7 njumara

njumara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hi Rangelone, I can and can't totally accept this because I think it's still confusing to describe. So, 1) The "Feature Setup Options" box that appears in the backend of wordpress when creating an individual post does nothing. True or False 2) I don't want anything to do with "Pagelines Meta Settings" I realize that that box controls the layout of the Single Post (blog) page. 3) Is this different that PFPro? It seems that the only option I have now is to use the "featured image" if I want to use a category for my feature slider. True or False. If I have no other recourse than to use the featured image for the slider when using the category setting, I will do so. But, it's a bummer because it was a cool feature in PFPro. Also, why does the Feature Setup Box show up in the backend of an individual blog post (when in order to get individual blog posts into the slider you must choose category mode) when it does absolutely nothing? And, finally, can I get it to behave the way I've been trying to, or is that not possible? Thanks for your help,

#8 njumara

njumara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

When mentioning background image, I was referring to the background image upload in the "Feature Setup Options" box, not the page "background image" in the "Pagelines Meta Settings" Page Setup box. I realize that changes the page background image. But the feature setup options background image should change the background image of the feature right? But, it seems like it doesn't anymore? So I guess I'm here again with, why does that box appear on a post editing page?

#9 njumara

njumara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

Here is what I mean:

Posted Image

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

Thank you for clarifying that. 1) If you have your Feature Slider set to Category mode, to pick up posts from a specific category, then the Feature setup option (Dashboard > Features > Add New) will not work. It is overridden by the category. Thus the background there won't work. The slides are picked up exclusively from the feature image of the post, which also is used to make the navigation thumbnail (50x30px) and the post thumbnail. The answer is True if using Category mode, but False if using Feature Posts mode. 2) In Category Mode, the PageLines Meta Settings are where you setup the feature slider to appear on the page or post. So, if you're on the Home page and want to use the Features from a category we will call "Pasta" then you make that selection inside the Home page's PageLines Meta Settings and do not use the Feature setup located at Dashboard > Features > Add New. 3) True. Category mode only uses the feature images from your posts. It's pulling the post links, images, excerpts to create the slides dynamically. This is very much different from PlatformPro where the category mode never worked correctly. "But the feature setup options background image should change the background image of the feature right?" If you use Feature Posts mode for your slider, then the feature slide background will work. In Category mode, it does nothing.

#11 njumara

njumara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:22 AM

Got it! Thanks so much for all your patience, I know the jargon and hierarchy can be a lot to go through, so thanks for clarifying all this for me. For anyone randomly with the same problem (probabaly aren't a lot of you) the only way I've figured out how to do what I used to do is: 1) Set feature to feature sets, not category 2) Create a blog post 3) Create a feature that links to that blog post If you're using events calendar like me, then there are really really three things that need to be done because I can't figure out how to call the Events Calendar Custom Posts into my main blog feed. (This is a totally separate question but goes mildly in line with figuring out how to use all of these products together and sometimes I totally do things the hard way.) See example below. 1) Create a custom post Event 2) Create a blog post redirecting to the custom post Event 3) Create a feature linking to the blog post redirecting to the custom post Event Whew. Anyway, this is a separate issue and generally a question for Events Calendar so I will leave it here and say thanks again for all of your help!