6 replies to this topic

#1 Jackey

Jackey

Advocate

• Members

• 683 posts
  • LocationHelmond

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

I don't know if it is some kind of convention how to name a CSS file, but could this name be changed to something more descriptive, so it is more easy to recognize it in Safari Dev Tools or Firebug.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13153 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hi Jackey, I am not sure if it would be an issue or not renaming the file or not. I think the reason for it being called that is so that users are comfortable with it. However, I understand where you're coming from!

#3 Jackey

Jackey

Advocate

• Members

• 683 posts
  • LocationHelmond

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hi Danny, I'm a user... and I'm not comfortable with it. Can't keep 6 or more style.css files apart without opening them all. :(

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Every theme/framework for WordPress has a style.css file, and an optional functions.php file. Thats all you need for a child theme and it has been that way for a number of years. When we decided to make the customize plugin to emulate a child theme we figured keeping the files named the same as a child theme would make more sense.

#5 Jackey

Jackey

Advocate

• Members

• 683 posts
  • LocationHelmond

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

I'm not criticizing how you came to name the file, I'm just suggesting to use a more descriptive name than the over-obvious "styles.css" that everybody else is using.

#6 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

platformbase has style.css, 2.0 'base' child theme has style.css, makes sense for the customize plugin to use same filename. ;)

#7 Jackey

Jackey

Advocate

• Members

• 683 posts
  • LocationHelmond

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Maybe right up to the point when you start custom-styling a site and look in Firebug - or equivalent tool - and see that every css rule's origin is "style.css". I did not say that was a good name either. ;) I put it to rest now.