Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Custom CSS producing odd results

Question

Posted · Report post

Im attempting to re-edit my CSS as the last framework update seems to have made some of my custom css code redundant and it no longer works. Editing with firebug works fine but after i save in the custom css section and reload the site it seems to break a few things. For example im trying to change .hentry-pad { padding: 0 10px 25px; } to .hentry-pad { padding: 0 0 25px; } It should end up like this css-1.jpg But after saving and reloading the page it ends up like this css-2.jpg Another odd thing about this is that i have to restore the database back to an earlier version to get the site back to normal, as just deleting the css used above from custom css doesnt change it back. Any assitance would be appreciated http://www.danceyrselfclean.com/ http://www.danceyrselfclean.com/introducing/crystal-fighters

37 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Your using an aggressive disk cache AND cloudflare which caches css and js as well. You dont need to reset the db to change css, just turn off the disk cache, and delete the cache contests and put cloudflare into dev mode or debug or whatever they call it now, and reprime their cache after changes.

Posted · Report post

Ok i think i did all that you recommended but to no luck. First i turned off my W3 Total Cache plugin dick cache and emptied all cache's here. Next i put cloudflare into dev mode, made the css changes then did a cloudflare Cache Purge.

Posted · Report post

Can you try deactivating your other active plugins to see if the problem remains?

Posted · Report post

The difference looks more like a sidebar issue to me. Your top images shows a sidebar wrap on top, with two sidebars below. The second image looks like you are using a single sidebar. Something to do with your Templates or Meta setup since update, perhaps?

Posted · Report post

It does seem that way. I just find it odd that even after removing the CSS the site stays messed up. Are there any template or meta settings you would recommend i take a look at

Posted · Report post

Hi, Is this issue now resolved, I visited your website and the blog image looked fine ?

Posted · Report post

Sorry no not yet. I just restored my database to an earlier version to get it back to normal as it was looking a bit stupid all messed up

Posted · Report post

It seems this problem is caused by changing any custom css. I just tried to edit some custom css already in place that alters the font size, and i got the same problem.

Posted · Report post

Have you tried using the Pagelines Customize plugin and editing the CSS there?

Posted · Report post

Ok thanks using thee pagelines customize plugin works for adding new css. However i still have the problem of not being able to edit any exisitng css within the custom css section without it messing up the site.

Posted · Report post

Move the CSS you already have within the Custom CSS section to the CSS stylesheet within Pagelines Customize so that your CSS is in one place and to see if that makes a difference.

Posted · Report post

Unfortunatly that produced the same results

Posted · Report post

This may be an odd question, but when editing the pagelines-customize/style.css file within the Pagelines Customize plugin should it not say its active. Currently when editing the pagelines-customize/style.css it says its inactive Editing pagelines-customize/style.css (inactive)

Posted · Report post

It seems its not just the custom css causing this. I just changed the Sharebar Social Sharing Buttons to be included in the page template and selected stumble upon and google+ to be included as well as facebook and twitter which were already selected. This produced the same mess and forced me to restore the database again to get it back to normal

Posted · Report post

You should [url="http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/"]validate your CSS[/url] and [url="http://cdburnerxp.se/cssparse/css_optimiser.php"]clean it up with Tidy[/url].

Posted · Report post

Ok thanks i had a look at W3C validator but im not even sure how i would go about fixing the errors etc. Im also not quite sure how the CSS Formatter and Optimiser is meant to work if im honest

Posted · Report post

What errors are you getting when you validate your site?

Posted · Report post

To be honest there are quite a few but im not really sure what they mean. From what i can see most appear to be plugin related. You might be able to make more sense of it than i can if you run my site through it. http://www.danceyrselfclean.com/ Heres a link to the results http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.danceyrselfclean.com%2F&profile=css21&usermedium=all&warning=1&vextwarning=&lang=en

Posted · Report post

Your CSS issues are mostly browser-related (certain attributes not being compatible with the browser). Is this issue persistent in just one browser or multiple ones?

Posted · Report post

It seems to be persistent in other browsers as well. Ive tested with Firefox and Chrome

Posted · Report post

Hi, I am not quite sure what your issue is now, is it editing your custom CSS or do you have an issue with the PageLines Customisation plug-in being inactive ?

Posted · Report post

I still have the issue with editing custom CSS but i also happened to notice the PageLines Customisation plugin says inactive when im editing the pagelines-customize/style.css and i wondered if that wan an error or something. I installed the PageLines Customisation plug-in at a later date so it has nothing to do with the original error

Posted · Report post

When it says "inactive" it's not an error, it's just something that occurs with the plugin, and it doesn't affect its performance.

Posted · Report post

Ok cheers. Any idea on what i should try next to sort this custom css issue out. I could perhaps try using the earlier version of framework as i dont remember having this issue before the 2.1 update

Posted · Report post

We would need you to disable your cache completely and delete any saved cache folders and then we can try to figure out why your CSS is not saving. Do you have any other issues installing plugins or saving other PageLines settings?