Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Changing feature slider options in pagelines causes 404 error

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello, Upon upgrading to 2.0 my features slider reverted to the default sample slides (expected). Unfortunately after I try and update the settings in the features section of Pagelines - Special it turns all my admin pages into error 404 pages. The only solution I have found so far is to restore my last back-up and clear my browser cache. I have been able to replicate the problem several times, it doesn't seem to matter which options I change and save on the Pagelines Special page it will return this behavior. Any ideas? or anyone else experiencing this?

16 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

A few people experienced this, as yet we are unable to replicate it. What browser are you using?

Posted · Report post

I'm using firefox and chrome. Interestingly, what repairs the problem is to change file permissions of all wordpress folders and sub-folders to 755 via FTP. however, if i try to edit the feature slider again, it will give the 404 error again (until i change file-permissions).

Posted · Report post

well exactly what files are changing?

Posted · Report post

i don't know. i just read somewhere on the web that when you can't access your backend (due to a 404 error), you can try to change the permissions of wp-admin, wp-content and wp-includes and all subfolders to 755. i did that and it gives me access to the backend again. however, everytime i try to change settings for the feature slider, the error comes back and all i can do is set the permissions again. the settings that i make for the feature slider are never saved though.

Posted · Report post

Can you give me a link to the site?

Posted · Report post

just sent you a message. i just realized that it is actually sufficient to just clear the browser cache. i'm able to login to the dashboard, but everytime i try to change the feature settings, i get the 404 error until i clear the cache. this is for IE, chrome and FF. i cannot make any changes in the feature settings, however the box settings work fine.

Posted · Report post

Whatever 'manageWP' is, de-activate it and the problem goes away.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for your help! ManageWp is a tool that facilitates managing multiple WP blogs. I have deactivated the plugin, but the problem remains. I was able to make adjustments to the feature settings by deactivating the features in the templates sections BUT the settings are ignored by the feature slider (e.g. i set the slider to "no navigation" but the navigation remains").

Posted · Report post

This happens for some reason in Firefox for me on certain installs but no other browser. Does it happen in Chrome and Safari as well for you?

Posted · Report post

yes, it happens in all browsers and only with this one install. i'm using a hostnine reseller account. wordpress is up to date (3.3.1) and there is no difference to any other install that i have. here are the plugins that i have installed and activated (deactivating them has not helped): - akismet - limit login attempts - managewp - post types order - wp google fonts

Posted · Report post

I was able to save feature options no problems with that plugin deactivated.

Posted · Report post

thats weird. but are they actually applied in the frontend?

Posted · Report post

Yes they are, I changed settings in the post area, and the special settings area with that plugin dosabled, I also tested with all plugins disabled, same result. Only when it was enabled I got the 404.

Posted · Report post

okay, for some reason this solution doesnt work for me. HOWEVER, i found another solution: i just change the feature settings on the page/post itself. thanks!

Posted · Report post

Do you need any other assistance?

Posted · Report post

nope! thx catrina & pross