Photo
- - - - -

How to change a text string with POedit.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Sorry, as i mentioned in the opening post, language files are taken from the customize plugin 'language' folder, and if that does not exist then they are taken from the main framework language folder.

#22 pehja

pehja

Advocate

• Members

• 560 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Framework Version:Pagelines v2.4.3 and DMS

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

and that main framework language folder will be overwritten at each update?

#23 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yes it will.

#24 holimed

holimed

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

Hiya, I have the base theme and customize plugin active and followed your tutorial step-by-step, but the changes are not visible on the site. Also tried putting the new files in the main language folder, even as a replacement to the pagelines.pot file, but no changes are visible in either case. I do refresh my cache before each loading. I run the latest framework version. Do I need to first add/activate something in the customize plugin pages? thanks, Nikki

#25 pehja

pehja

Advocate

• Members

• 560 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Framework Version:Pagelines v2.4.3 and DMS

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

@holimed, No theres no need for any activation. What language do you change. You should open the .po file of that language and edit that. Then when you save you will get a .mo and.po file. Drag them from your desktop to your theme/pagelines/language folder. It should work. But when you update PageLines the file will be overwritten. To avoid that, you will have to activate customize plugin. Then go to wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize and create a new language folder. in that folder you put your translated .mo and.po files. Now you can update PageLines and your changes will remain. I am not a pro, so this is just how I did. Hope it helps.

#26 torbjorn_s

torbjorn_s

• Members

• 6 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hi
Here comes a tip for you all.
I use this plugin instead of POedit. It works out much better for me.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Anybody else using this plugin?
Ping: @Simon

#27 evert100

evert100

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.8.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

I know i used it before but since last updates from pagelines it doesn't see the .pot or .po/.mo anymore. You still use it with version 2.2.5. You are a wizard! Tell me your secrets....

#28 wonderwoman

wonderwoman

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Something has changed with 2.2.5 for sure... I've found the .po file in pagelines-customise/language, but the text for the message string is not what displays. Instead I get "keyword" which looks as though it's coded as a placeholder... whatever that means. So is that an "undocumented feature", or is there another way to change that...

#29 rudolfo78

rudolfo78

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hello folks,
I followed this tutorial step-by-step, PoEdit generated .po and .mo, I renamed it to "sk_SK.po" and "sk_SK.mo" (I would like to translate pagelines framework with iBlog theme to Slovak language), uploaded to my "pagalines/language" folder (I use iBlog theme I guess it doesnt matter), and changes isn't visible...I appreciate any advice!

Posted Image
EDIT: I have translated some of strings on PageLines Translations Center (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

), then I have exported .po and .mo files, uploaded to language folder and it doesn't work also.

EDIT2: I solved it, I have renamed files "sk_SK.po and .mo" to "en_US.po and .mo" and it appears translated strings! :)

Thanks

#30 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

You uploaded to the wrong folder, please read the opening post.

#31 attac

attac

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Do you really need to use the customize plugin to get Pagelines in another language, even if you are using a child theme for customization?

That's just stupid!

#32 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Do you really need to use the customize plugin to get Pagelines in another language, even if you are using a child theme for customization?

That's just stupid!

It is like this for a reason. Most customers will probably purchase a 3rd party child theme, if they then put the mo file into the child theme and the author of the child theme then releases a bug fix the translation file will get wiped out.

So the mo file goes in the customisation plugin.

• attac likes this

#33 attac

attac

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

But won't the customize plugin interfere with the customizations done in my child theme? 

#34 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Nope, you can use either or both. Entirely up to you.

• attac likes this

#35 elombard

elombard

• Members

• 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hello Simon,

I did just as you said. I installed the pagelines-customize plug-in, activated it, and created a language subfolder.

I used Poedit to edit my fr_FR.po file and copied the output fr_FR.po and fr_FR.mo files to wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize/language.

After that, my new translation (the hover text for the Flipper section) is not displayed. I tried refreshing the cache to no avail.

However, after I overwrote the original fr_FR.po and fr_FR.mo files with the modified ones in wp-content/themes/dms/language, it works right away.

So you may wonder, why do I post a question?

Well I had to change directly the DMS theme to make it work, while the customize plug-in remains useless, which means that I will lose my custom translation after the next DMS update which will overwrite files in wp-content/themes/dms.

Can you please help and fix the customize plug-in?

Best regards,

E.L.

Edited by elombard, 09 August 2014 - 05:56 PM.