How to change a text string with POedit.

Question

Posted (edited) · Report post

In this quick tutorial I'm going to show you how to change a translatable string in PageLines Framework 2.x

Tools Needed:

Framework 2.x

pagelines-customize plugin

POedit - http://www.poedit.net/download.php

So as an easy example I'm going to show you how to change the 'Tagged with:' string as it was requested earlier today. ZaxfW.png

1. Make a 'language' dir in the customize plugin folder.

cMkCy.png

2. Open POedit and click file/open and navigate to the pagelines.pot file in pagelines/language folder ( you will need to select 'all files' to open it ) gPBhD.png

3. Now we need to find the string to translate, i used the find function to find the word 'tagged'.

zYnvu.png

4. Highlight the string to edit then add the new string in the bottom box.

uxvnQ.png

5. Now click Catelog/settings, you need to change a couple of fields before it will let you save. You have to change the team name and team email address. SH4FT.png

6. Now click 'save as' and navigate to your customize plugin folder, and change the filename to en_US.po Y5ZLM.png

It should save out 2 files like this:

OiNPc.png

Now refresh your page, it should be translated!

BqLMs.png

Edited by Simon Prosser
make it readable in new forum

34 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I know i used it before but since last updates from pagelines it doesn't see the .pot or .po/.mo anymore. You still use it with version 2.2.5. You are a wizard! Tell me your secrets....

Posted · Report post

Something has changed with 2.2.5 for sure... I've found the .po file in pagelines-customise/language, but the text for the message string is not what displays. Instead I get "keyword" which looks as though it's coded as a placeholder... whatever that means. So is that an "undocumented feature", or is there another way to change that...

Posted · Report post

Hello folks,
I followed this tutorial step-by-step, PoEdit generated .po and .mo, I renamed it to "sk_SK.po" and "sk_SK.mo" (I would like to translate pagelines framework with iBlog theme to Slovak language), uploaded to my "pagalines/language" folder (I use iBlog theme I guess it doesnt matter), and changes isn't visible...I appreciate any advice!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Y9kKz.png[/img]
EDIT: I have translated some of strings on PageLines Translations Center ([url="http://bit.ly/QwBuAx"]http://bit.ly/QwBuAx[/url]), then I have exported .po and .mo files, uploaded to language folder and it doesn't work also.

EDIT2: I solved it, I have renamed files "[b]sk_SK.po and .mo[/b]" to "[b]en_US.po and .mo[/b]" and it appears translated strings! :)

Thanks

Posted · Report post

You uploaded to the wrong folder, please read the opening post.

Posted · Report post

Do you really need to use the customize plugin to get Pagelines in another language, even if you are using a child theme for customization?

That's just stupid!

Posted · Report post

Do you really need to use the customize plugin to get Pagelines in another language, even if you are using a child theme for customization?

That's just stupid!

It is like this for a reason. Most customers will probably purchase a 3rd party child theme, if they then put the mo file into the child theme and the author of the child theme then releases a bug fix the translation file will get wiped out.

So the mo file goes in the customisation plugin.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

But won't the customize plugin interfere with the customizations done in my child theme? 

Posted · Report post

Nope, you can use either or both. Entirely up to you.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello Simon,

I did just as you said. I installed the pagelines-customize plug-in, activated it, and created a language subfolder.

I used Poedit to edit my fr_FR.po file and copied the output fr_FR.po and fr_FR.mo files to wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize/language.

After that, my new translation (the hover text for the Flipper section) is not displayed. I tried refreshing the cache to no avail.

However, after I overwrote the original fr_FR.po and fr_FR.mo files with the modified ones in wp-content/themes/dms/language, it works right away.

So you may wonder, why do I post a question?

Well I had to change directly the DMS theme to make it work, while the customize plug-in remains useless, which means that I will lose my custom translation after the next DMS update which will overwrite files in wp-content/themes/dms.

Can you please help and fix the customize plug-in?

Best regards,

E.L.

Edited by elombard