Photo
- - - - -

Excerpts: How to specify excerpt wording instead of copying 1st paragraph?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shawnfbowman

shawnfbowman

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Hello there, folks!

I'm still very much on the learning curve with using PageLines Framework, so please forgive me if this is a very simple question with an obvious answer - for what it's worth, I haven't found the specific answer I'm looking for in any of the current forum discussions.

Here's my problem:

When I use an excerpt for my blog posts, what happens is that the first paragraph or so of the actual post becomes the excerpt. I know that I can control the number of characters that go into the excerpt by entering in the desired number under Settings > Blog and Posts (in the Excerpt Length section).

What I would LIKE to be able to do is have an excerpt that allows me to type in my own wording for the excerpt, instead of having it simply take the first 55 characters (or however many I specify) of the actual post content. While this is OK (I guess), I'd rather the excerpt be a short blurb about what the post is about, rather than simply a copy of the first two or three lines.

My reasons?

(1) Usually, the first two or three lines don't provide a fully adequate description of the post's subject: the first few lines aren't always written in such a way that they provide a "hook" in and of themselves...I want to be able to write a specific excerpt wording of my own so that I can create that "hook".

(2) I personally find it annoying whenever I click a post to find myself reading a repeat of the same first lines I saw in the "excerpt" that brought me to click on a post to "read more" - and I've gotten the same feedback from a lot of others. Maybe not a true user experience guideline for a general audience, but if my specific audience reports back that way I do try to accommodate!

Does anyone have any guidance to offer? Is there a way to create a specifically-worded excerpt in Framework that I'm missing? Or, failing that, is there an alternative workaround that can accomplish the same thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~ Shawn

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Shawn, yes the inbuilt excerpt function by default takes the forst 55 words, alternatively you can add custom excerpts to posts on the post edit screen, click screen options at the top and tick 'excerpt' then add you own excerpt into the provided box.

#3 shawnfbowman

shawnfbowman

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

See? Like I said: "very simple question with an obvious answer". :D Thanks much, Pross, for helping this noob through the first few steps of his learning curve! :D ~ Shawn

#4 myriambahi

myriambahi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Unfortunately, on my version of platformpro, on the post page, there is nowhere indicated "screening option". Below my post, i see Title, Keywords. Robot description. Above the post, there is no such option either. Where should I look ? Thank you in advance Myriam