Adding a New Widget Area

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tunatraffic

tunatraffic

• Members

• 17 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

Here is a fun one... Hi All! I need to add a widget area to the header of this site: http://campshutout.com/ Right now I am cheating and injecting this code snippet into the header.php file of my child theme: "
Register Now
" In a ideal world I need a widget area for the client to change. But when I add a new widget area it does something weird and removes all my widgets from the main sidebar (I believe this is due to the child theme functions.php loading first) This is going in my child's header.php: "
" This is going in the child's functions.php: register_sidebar( array( 'name' => __( 'header register', 'child' ), 'id' => 'header_register', 'description' => __( 'register logo goes here', 'child' ), 'before_widget' => '', 'after_widget' => '', 'before_title' => '
', 'after_title' => '
', ) ); Any thoughts how I can load the parent theme's sidebars first without deactivating the sidebars and then adding them back by via the child theme. I saw several areas where sidebars and widgets are loading in the parent but I dont want to miss any. This is a fun one.... :) Mike

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17666 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hi Mike, I'm afraid this goes beyond my knowledge or skill level, I hope your OK with waiting a while longer for another PageLines mod or user who may be able to assist you.