Photo
- - - - -

Get the Right Hosting for your PageLines / WordPress Setup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

My recommendation and article;

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

if you'd like to learn more. I've worked on many PageLines' projects now.

Recommendations from WordPress:

Also, this isn't officially from PageLines, just my personal opinion;

Please avoid GoDaddy and other Windows servers, not only is it a poor host in general it is the most reoccurring problem host with PageLines' products that I've seen.

Thanks, Bryan

#2 scotmanfrontiernetnet

scotmanfrontiernetnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:09 AM

Thanks Bryan. Yea think that will help alot of users. I personally use HostGator Linux VPS plan. There is a learning curve to get everything going just the way you want. e.g.timthumb support is not activated by default..but their support is pretty excellent. I think the biggest limitation for anyone considering a hosting account is whether they should or should not get a shared hosting plan. A shared hosting plan comes with alot of extra hassles. When your on a shared server you share that server with hundreds of other websites..so they don't give users full control as they would on a dedicated server. So it's either buy cheap shared hosting plan with limitations or go dedicated hosting plan and pay more but less restrictions. I found the dedicated hosting plan is the best route to take, even though you pay more monthly. The extra money also pays for better customer support.

#3 boyevul

boyevul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

I would recommend

. They offer shared hosting as well as Private Servers. All plans are unlimited space/bandwidth, they offer one click installs for many things (including Wordpress) and their pricing is excellent.

VPS (Private Server) allows you complete control over your machine, and you can scale your machines resources to fit your budget/needs. I pay around 19 bucks a month for my PS (which hosts 4 domains) and multiple websites (image hosting, music, blog, etc.)

After being hosted with several hosts in the early 2000s (GoDaddy, PinchPenny, and others) I switched over to Dreamhost in 2006 and haven't regretted one moment of it. You can not go wrong with this company.

#4 andrewfrenchsupportcom

andrewfrenchsupportcom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:54 AM

I HAVE to recommend

. I have been with them for 7 years and they are a dream to work with.

I have never had an outage (that I was aware of) and their tech support is free and fast! I host 7 sites with them, all for the same $70'ish per year.

#5 tsalstrand

tsalstrand

• Members

• 245 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

I'm going to have to second Andrew James. I have nothing but great things to say about their technical support!

#6 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Thanks, Bryan

#7 tlovvorn

tlovvorn

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

I have to Wordpress blogs hosted on GoDaddy.com and both are running the PlatformPro theme. Both are running EXTREMELY slow...so slow that I'm either going to have to do away with the theme or go to a different host altogether. I noticed in the thread above someone had negative things to say about GoDaddy. What exactly is it about GoDaddy's hosting that doesn't like pagelines themes? I've used GoDaddy for years.

#8 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:59 AM

Primarily, the problem with GoDaddy, is that by default you get setup on a Windows server, this is not friendly to PHP or PageLines or any modern website for that matter in my opinion. You want Linux which you have to pay extra for to get for GoDaddy where other hosts automatically offer it as the best option. I could go on and on about why I don't recommend GoDaddy, probably be easier to refer to an article I've written about it:

Thanks, Bryan

#9 nordicspy

nordicspy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

I use

. They may seem expensive, but they are extremely fast, reliable, and are quick to respond to help tickets.