#1 jdbrasesco

jdbrasesco

Advanced Member

• Members

• 63 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA
  • Framework Version:DMS 2.0.4

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:27 AM

I have Framework 2.0 and iBlog Pro 5 installed.
www.brasesco.com

When I installed iBP5, the color control tab on the settings dashboard disappeared. It feels like iBP5 isn't quite done yet. It should have all core functionality of IBP4 and of Framework 2.0. Since iBP5 is really just a "styling" add-on to the Framework, you should not lose core Framework functionality when you activate it.

Is there an updated version of iBP5 in the works? Also missing: Home icon, menu bar colors, etc...

Thanks,
J.D.
  • assomibatrifs likes this

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16982 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

Hi JD, Color control has been disabled by the author discretion, you often find in child themes that the theme creator will disable certain features or functionality of the parent theme. Which they deem unnecessary. You can enable the color control by editing the themes function.php file.

#3 section25

section25

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

ok - how does one do that exactly - and are pagelines not the authors of iblogpro?

#4 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

In the design of the child theming process for PageLines Framework we carefully considered a lot of variables. For the most part, theming PageLines negates the need for color control.. for example, if we gave you the ability to set a new background color, all the other styling would have to follow suit which is simply not possible with *advanced* design. For example, all the background gradients in IBP5 are images... and if you changed the background color of them you'd get something that looks crappy. This is the experience we wanted to avoid when designing the theme API.

#5 jdbrasesco

jdbrasesco

Advanced Member

• Members

• 63 posts
  • Framework Version:DMS 2.0.4

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:45 AM

Andrew, I appreciate your feedback and insight into your development mindset, but strongly disagree with your point of view. I don't believe theming negates the need for control. Rather, theming gives you a foundation and head start for further customization and control. I'm completely new to wordpress and css and I'm just trying to learn it all for fun. Pagelines Framework is by far the best platform to give me professional output while I learn to customize. What I think would look crappy is if thousands of pagelines customers used iBP5 unaltered and they all looked just like Apple's site and each other. I can go in the iBP5 image directory and figure out what background images are there and make new ones to match my theme customization. Core global options like background colors and images; color control for text and links; etc are really nice to have in the dashboard rather than having to try to firebug it all and try to guess at how to fix it. Again, my view is that themes should only add functionality to the Framework - never take away core functionality. I love the product and I'm having a great time with it but definitely see room for improvement in execution and communication. Thanks, J.D.

#6 slingr

slingr

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

I agree with @brasesco on all counts.

#7 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

@slingr if your going to agree on all accounts, maybe you should read the whole thread too.

For example, all the background gradients in IBP5 are images

So if you change the color in IB5 they will have no effect, because all the gradients are fixed images, they would all have to be remade for that colour. Thats why the author chose to disable them for this theme.

#8 slingr

slingr

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

Simon, I understand that. That was a design choice you made, to use background images rather than colors, and put the gradient in the image rather than doing it with CSS. I don't have any issue with that, in fact I'm at the moment going through those background images and changing them in PS to colors of my choosing. I do think that, since the standalone version offered different theme colors, the version that assumed the same name would've been expected to offer similar, not reduced, color choices.

I can't speak for @brasesco, but my negative reaction isn't so much to your design choices (no need to refer to yourself in the 3rd person, btw) but to Andrew's defense of it. Maybe I'm too ultrahypersupercritical of just about everything he says, but to my ear he comes pretty close to dismissing his customers' design sensibilities while exuding the attitude that "WE know best" and "WE don't want YOU to mess up OUR pretty theme designs."

One other thing, Simon, FYI, that's driving a lot of my dissatisfaction with your management, is this statement Kyle made in his November 4 blog post: "If you??™re a developer, designer or simply someone who wants to build awesome websites (without coding!) we have a special announcement for you." [my emphasis]

That is just so wrong I can't believe that you as developer haven't protested yourself. I would venture to say that probably >80% (pick your own percentage) of the solutions to the questions and problems that customers like me have in this Forum are addressed by coding changes.

I don't hesitate to agree with @brasesco's praise of your product. What sets my hair on fire are statements from your management (and some of your "Pros," but that's another issue) that fundamentally misrepresent the product's capabilities and create misleading customer expectations; i.e., "I can get exactly what I want without coding changes." Because that's what Kyle led me to believe ... without coding!.

But back to your iBlogPro 5 theme ... I just think you as a company are doing yourselves a disservice and working at cross-purposes to, on the one hand, create this great Framework for building and customizing (with coding) websites, but then on the other hand, sell themes (especially one that just repackages an existing Pagelines standalone product) that reflect the "WE know best" design philosophy that's expressed in Andrew's response above.

Again, you as a theme developer and designer are free to make whatever design and programming considerations and tradeoffs you want. I don't have any problem with that. I have a problem with Andrew's defense/explanation.

#9 WebIT

WebIT

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationCape Cod

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:04 AM

Just edit functions.php in iBlogPro 5 around line 17 from:

$support->DisableCoreColor();

to

// $support->DisableCoreColor();

You'll have full color control.