Photo

Placing carousel above blog

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 kristadior

kristadior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:18 AM

Hi there,

My blog is currently this: http://kristadior.kristardesign.com/

I wanted to use the feature carousel as a topper right above my blog, but since I have to change which page is my homepage, I haven't been able to figure this out. Here is my "feature" page that I built:
http://kristadior.kr...n.com/featured/

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

#2 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

I can't get your links to load, did you change or remove it? Thanks, Bryan

#3 kristadior

kristadior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

The server may have been down. That sometimes happens with my provider! Try them again. They should not change at all or I'm in trouble. =)

#4 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

Okay, I've figured it out for you. As long as you haven't altered header.php at all this should work fine, download and unzip this file: http://www.bryanhada...eature-full.zip then upload page-feature-full.php to your iBlogPro theme folder overwriting the other, that's it, should do the trick. Thanks, Bryan

#5 kristadior

kristadior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

Hi there, Bryan: I am using the StationPro blog template, not iBlogPro. I do not have an existing file called page-feature-full.php in my directory. I have page-carousel-full.php but it doesn't work when I replace it with your file.

#6 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

Oh no! Terribly sorry, well at least it will be prepared for anyone that wants to do it for iBlogPro.

Okay, try one last thing, pasting the code over this pages code:

page-feature.php

Make sure of course to backup that code and have it aside to put back if it doesn't work.

If it doesn't work I'll have to start over from scratch with StationPro, so I'll need a bit of time for that.

Thanks, Bryan

#7 kristadior

kristadior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:45 PM

Yup, I still don't see the blog content flowing into that left box: http://kristadior.kr...n.com/featured/

I am sorry you have to go through all of this! I thought it would be a simple line of code to pop into the page. I'll ask around while you work on it and see if anyone has ideas.

Thanks again!

#8 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

No, I just need to redo my solution for StationPro now, it shouldn't be too different than the iBlogPro solution which works. Sorry for the wait, this is a bit heavier than some requests, but I know how to help. I'll at least bump this post for now until I can get to it. Thanks, Bryan

#9 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:44 AM

Okay Krista, fingers crossed: http://www.bryanhada...age-feature.zip unzip that php file and replace the file of the same name with it in the StationPro theme folder or copy and paste the code in your editor. Thanks, Bryan

#10 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

love this customization, just a tip: to remove the text-shadow on your welcome just add this to custom css: ` #welcome { text-shadow:none; } `

#11 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

also, adding the carousel to different pages will be much easier with StationPro3 (out very soon)

#12 kristadior

kristadior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

This still did not work for me. I think I want to upgrade to SP 3, but it looks like the only way to do this is to purchase the full version. Let me know if I can upgrade at a lower price and I will do that.

#13 KristaD

KristaD

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:55 AM

Ok, so I upgraded to version 3 and I still do not see an option to make the feature hero topper an option on your main blog index page.It was actually a big pain to "upgrade" because I don't know if I am overwriting something important that I updated in the last version. Is there some type of documentation that guides you with how to upgrade without disturbing your custom files?

#14 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

What type of custom files did you create? We'll help you get through this.

#15 KristaD

KristaD

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

I know it's been a month now since I posted.. I'm working on two blogs! So, the current issue now is that I purchased SP 3 and threw the new theme into http://vulturesawait.com This was not a problem since I only had to mess with CSS files to get the color scheme and text stuff the way the client wanted. They esp. love the feature header and it was SO easy in v. 3 to get it up and running. Now, the problem with my own blog (http://kristadior.com) is that when I place v.3 into my theme, I have a whole mess of tweaks and CSS files to sort out. I looked at the dates on each file and placed the ones that I customized into the new theme, all the CSS files were placed into the new theme and I went into the new functions page to set up the feature slideshow. What a mess it turned out to be. Wow. I didn't even know where to start troubleshooting. I didn't create any new files, I only edited existing files. I went ahead and did a full clean install of Station Pro 3, reverted back to my old theme, and now I just need to figure out which files from my current theme that I need to throw into SP 3 without messing stuff up (or possibly I'll throw some files from SP 3 into my old theme). I am only concerned with having the SP 3 version of the StationPro theme options page so I can utilize those new features. Hope this makes sense!

#16 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

Well we may be able to guide you if you can tell us what modifications you need to make. Also for CSS I highly recommend using a custom.css stylesheet that won't get overwritten when you update

#17 KristaD

KristaD

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:32 AM

Hey there, I figured it out on my own last night and was chipping away at the custom.css file all night. I didn't know about that file. I see that cmunns suggested I do that.. I wish I would have known earlier! =) Anyway, I got it all up and running now. It's very nice.Thanks for your help, everyone!