Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Harmless child themes?

Question

Posted · Report post

Hello, after creating my own child theme using proper wp codex theme - my new theme lost all of the pagelines /sections {css} rules. For example >> in child's theme style.css I extended main pagelines style.css like this:

@import url("../pagelines/style.css")

but then I lose all {css} rules for /pagelines/sections/.. So what is the harmless method of making our own child themes to work?

7 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Template: pagelines in your child css is needed, the sections css should be auto included anyway. Take a look in the 'base' theme if you are on 2.0 or platformbase for 1.5

Posted · Report post

Hey pross thanks for reply I did want to activate base theme, however it is not available any more for download from my account. So I figured you guys are adjusting your templates and I did not feel like complaining, well since I already started [url="http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/15762/building-a-community-site-with-pro2"]this[/url] semi complaining thread.

Posted · Report post

The other themes will be added back soon.

Posted · Report post

@pross I provided official wp codex in my question, that is what I was using to build child css file. So yes I did have Template: pagelines properly addressed/installed. Child theme worked out fine, it is just /sections elements that did not inherit css from parent. So I wanted to talk about the best way of solving that problem. I will provide [url="http://trampanet.net/sts"]link[/url] to it for a few days if you are interested in checking it out. The result you see is just an empty child css file. When I switch back to the parent theme - features come just back to it's defaults.

Posted · Report post

I haven't done anything like this before so I don't know how much i can help, but what about "view source" on your blog and referencing all of the stylesheets shown there?

Posted · Report post

Thanks simple_mama I just solved the problem. The problem was not in referencing stylesheets though. My idea was to create my own theme. I wanted to have my own menus, like for the whitehouse theme for example. Some of the work to achieve that goal is custom css but it does not mean that all problem could be solved that way. I am new to platform so I do not know is there some easier way to add your own class names to components. So I like to have control over it in my own functions. Its all good. I might start discussion later about some good and bad practices...

Posted · Report post

Hmm.. well you're venturing into territories that I have not visited yet. :) But you should be able to call your own class names just like you would with any website. Like if I write a paragraph and put [code]

[/code] whatever style "awesomeness" is set to in my stylesheet would show up there. If you're done with this topic for now, please consider accepting an answer otherwise we'll just keep responding to you. hehe