• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 unconsultancy

unconsultancy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

OK so I have a website www.unconsultancy.com which uses Pagelines and Platform Pro.

I currently have:

PlatformPro 1.5.3 activated
PlatformBase 1.4.1 installed
(and I have just installed but not activated: PageLines Framework 2.0.0 , more below)

Yesterday I received an email saying I now could download the new 2.0 so I logged into my Pagelines account and had two options to download:

a. PageLines Framework 2.0
b. 2.0 Pre-Order + PlatformPro

I have downloaded both and tried a variety of options. I'm assuming that (a) is what I really need and to upload / instal it via Themes in the control panel (but no need to activate?

The bottom line - despite trying multiple options I have NOT managed to get any new features appearing in the PlatformPro Settings page - so I assume that I haven't succeeded in getting the 2.0 framework working.

Can someone lay out in simple step-by-step fashion how to upgrade an existing Pagelines / PlatformPro setup to the new 2.0 framework? Or is it me just being thick?

Thankyou

Tim

#2 cybersphere

cybersphere

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

Hi Tim, You need to download and ACTIVATE "a. PageLines Framework 2.0". The option "b" is PlatformPro 1.5.3. It is little confusing but Platform is old, Pageline is the latest one released recently. Please backup your WordPress, Database and Platform 1.x settings before proceeding. If it was me, I would delete all the theme that are NOT activated. Just installed does not do anything in the world of WordPress... must be activated. So, removing anything unused should not pose any issues. Next, download and install "a. PageLines Framework 2.0" (if not already) and activate it. That's the easy part done. You are now on 2.0! The bad news is, your site will not look exactly like it use to be. In fact, you will most likely need a day going over everything and check and 'fix'. If you are interested, have a read of some of the posts I have uploaded in the past 24 hours... many hours of learning are in there. Good luck! Paul

#3 unconsultancy

unconsultancy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

Hi Paul, OK thankyou. Can you explain therefore the difference from previously when it was recommended to: ACTIVATE: PlatformPro INSTALL BUT NOT ACTIVATE: PlatformBase Does the new 2.0 Framework supersede BOTH. Notwithstanding what you say about needing a day to check & fix - will the new setup be based upon the old PlatformPro theme or am I being asked to recreate the look & feel from scratch? Thanks Tim

#4 unconsultancy

unconsultancy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

Thanks - hopefully my confusion will soon pass but I now have: Active Theme: PlatformBase 1.4.1 Installed but not activated: PlatformPro 1.5.3 So if I'm understanding this correctly to get the new 2.0 framework working I need to install the 2.0 framework, don't activate it, but delete the PlatformPro 1.5.3. Is that right? I shouldn't touch the activated theme? Tim

#5 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

No Tim. 2.0 is a new framework, platformbase will not see it or use it, it is completely independent.

#6 unconsultancy

unconsultancy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

OK - I think we might be getting somewhere. So install & activate 2.0 Framework Then how do I create a child theme for it? Tim

#7 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 12968 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

Hi Tim, The child theme for PageLines Framework 2.0 is found within the PageLines store. However, the Base child theme is for developers to create new child themes. We recommend non-developers to use the Pagelines Customize Plug-in, which contains style.css and functions.php, just like a child theme. Base Child Theme (For Developers to create new child themes). Download and Activate Instructions: To get the Base child theme, login to your Wordpress Admin Dashboard --> PageLines --> Store --> Themes --> Add Themes --> Top Free --> Base Theme --> Install --> Activate Pagelines Customize Plug-in (This contains style.css and functions.php, just like a child theme.) Download and Activate Instructions: To get the Pagelines Customize Plugin, login to your Wordpress Admin Dashboard --> PageLines --> Store --> Plug-ins --> Add Plug-ins --> Top Free --> Pagelines Customize Plugin --> Install--> Activate. Once the plugin has been activated you can find the style.css and functions.php files in: wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize/

#8 suerama

suerama

• Members

• 243 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

I'm curious why you advise the Customize Plug-in rather than working with a child theme. What is the advantage?

#9 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

@suerama if you use a child theme to make edits thats fine, but you can never install a new child theme then, like iblog5 for example. There will soon be lots of child themes available through the store.

#10 puntNL

puntNL

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

A couple of remarks here: 1: So the new child themes are actually pre configured/ styled themes that run on the Pagelines framework 2 framework while the customizations plugin is for non-developers who can use Pagelines Framework 2 as a non-framework/ standalone theme without making use of a childtheme at all. RIGHT?? 2: If I don't want to configure and customize my framework 2 theme and use - for example- IblogPro5 child theme instead, then I DON'T need the Customizations plugin at all?

#11 cybersphere

cybersphere

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Dear 'anyone else who is less technical like me', I never got the hang of this 'child theme' stuff. I only have 10 days experience in PlatformPro and Pagelines framework so please read what you will out of this post. I just installed the Pagelines Framework 2.0 and no child. And my site is very similar in look 'n' feel to PlatformPro demo site. Just in case someone reads all the posts above and think, what the hack is 'child theme', well, you may not need it either! Paul

#12 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:41 PM

@jeurissen Yes to both points. @cybersphere a wordpress child theme inherits all the functions and styling from its parent theme and allows you to change the look and style of the parent.

#13 intellagentz

intellagentz

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:35 AM

So what do you recommend for the "non-developer" who has worked on customizing a child theme in the former Platform Pro Base child theme and who has gone ahead an pre-ordered Framework? Are you suggesting I have to re-work all customizations again? I cannot believe this company would launch this product and email me a simple message (with not so much as a stitch of upgrade instructions/support) that essentially says: "We've just added the new PageLines 2.0 to your account :) Go ahead and grab it here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

" I wish I could approach my child rearing of my 3 year old in the same way: "Here son, we just added a new bike to your toy chest :) Go ahead and ride it there..."

#14 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

We can help you re-work the customizations using the PageLines Customize plugin available for download in the store (which uses the functions.php and style.css files the way the child theme does).

#15 slingr

slingr

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

Let me stipulate: 1. I have Pagelines 2.0.0 framework installed and activated. 2. I have installed the Base Theme 1.0.2, but I have NOT activated it based on reading your recommendation that "non-developers" use the customization plugin. 3. I have installed and activated the Pagelines Customize plugin from the Pagelines Store. Now, I understand that the preferred way to implement custom code is NOT to use the Custom Code tab in the Pagelines Settings (which was the go-to solution for Platform Pro), but to instead make changes in the style.css file that's created by the Pagelines Customize plugin. That's located here: wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize/style.css So my question, is there no way to edit this file inside of WordPress? Or is the only way to edit it outside of WordPress in a text editor? It seems like there should be a way to edit this inside of WordPress since you can edit just about any other file in the Appearance|Editor. But I've searched and can't find that customized plugin style.css file.

#16 Jenny

Jenny

Owned by PageLines

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2917 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:15 AM

You can edit both style.css and functions.php (as well as a couple others) in Plugins -> Editor. "PageLines Customize" is a plugin. ;)

#17 slingr

slingr

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:31 AM

Why, thank you, simple_mama. Since I've never had occasion to edit a plugin stylesheet before, I never thought to look there. Perhaps, for moronic non-developers like me, it might be worth adding a reference to the plugin editor on this page:

By chance, do you know why, when I access the style.css file from the plugin editor, there's a title above the editing window that says: Editing: pagelines-customize/style.css (inactive) In other words, what is the significance of the "inactive"? Thank you so much.

#18 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

Inactive refers to the item you have not yet selected in the Plugin Editor from the drop list. Select any one of the plugins in your list and click "Select" and the plugin becomes and shows "(active)", meaning that this is what you're actively viewing. It does not mean that the file is not working on your site. Since you mention you're not a developer, it may also interest you (and others) to know that this is a WordPress function, not generated by PageLines. Additionally, you should be aware that as an added protection from accidental tampering, WordPress has required that you CHMOD the file you wish to edit to 777 or it will not save any edits made. You can always return to the file after it was edited in 777 mode and restore the CHMOD to 644 to protect the file. I hope this information helps.

#19 MrFent

MrFent

• Members

• 217 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

@slingr, thank you for the suggestion of adding a reference to the plugin editor in the

doc. The Docs Team is trying our best to write these docs from the perspective of someone who does not know all the ins and outs of PageLines 2.0 yet, and sometimes things like this slip past us & we don't mention them. I apologize that you had to spend time trying to figure it out. If you have any more suggestions on how to improve the Docs, or even if you think a doc is unclear and would like it further explained, please e-mail them to me docs@pagelines.com. Creating a forum post or comment about the docs increases our workload, because the forum moderators are not the ones who write/update the docs. They simply forward those requests to myself. This way we can leave them out of the loop and issues like this can be resolved easier & quicker. Thanks again.

#20 Jenny

Jenny

Owned by PageLines

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2917 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

@slingr For what it's worth, I didn't know where the files where either and had to ask pross. I definitely agree that some instructions need to be made.