Photo
- - - - -

Transparent background for the sidebars and the main column?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ryanjohnjackson

ryanjohnjackson

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

Hi,

I wish to make a mostly transparent background for the sidebars and the main column. I used the code below but it makes the text and any content transparent as well. Is there a way to do this without messing with the content itself?

Thanks!

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 ryanjohnjackson

ryanjohnjackson

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

I am guessing I may be choosing the wrong IDs?

#3 kastelic

kastelic

Advocate

• Members

• 3081 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

Could we see a link to your site?

The classes you used are used on different elements throughout the site, it would be better to use ID's which are unique to a given page.

If you get Google Chrome you can right-click and inspect any element. If the element looks like this for example:

Use the id, not the classses and you will know you are only targeting that element. It looks like this in the CSS:

#4 ryanjohnjackson

ryanjohnjackson

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

Kastelic,

First Thanks.
I meant to say classes when I said IDs. I've been picking classes because in this case the IDs don't make sense to me. For example, I am trying to change 2 text widgets, an rss widget, and the content column in the middle. I want just the grey color i'm putting behind them to have opacity but it does it to the text. Their ID is under "text-16". The reason I didn't use "text-16" is it sounds like a specific widget. So I guess I was supposed to go up higher to "list_sidebar_primary" and so on?. How do I know to go up besides trying?

I did try the ID instead of the class but it still changes the text as well. I might add I want this to apply to the background of any future widget added to the sides.

Thanks again.

Posted Image

#5 ryanjohnjackson

ryanjohnjackson

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16952 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

Hi Ryan,

Have a play with the code below:

Change the 0.01 to anything higher like 0.02 or 0.03 and it will get darked. I have also posted you a link to an article that talks about this subject.

#7 ryanjohnjackson

ryanjohnjackson

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

I found that all this works except for IE you need to use this: /* For IE 5.5 - 7*/ filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr=#70dedede, endColorstr=#70dedede); /* For IE 8*/ -ms-filter: "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr=#70dedede, endColorstr=#70dedede)"; of #70dedede 70 seems to equal 70% and then a color Also, Someone else posted if what you're applying this stuff to seems to disappear make it's "position relative".