Search Form Customization

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryanjohnjackson

ryanjohnjackson

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hi, I've been reading up a bit on this but I'm kinda worried about messing my site up. I took a php class about a year ago and I was never very good at loops. I am remaking the website for my library (also my job) for free on my own time. We have a special search that search our site, other sites, and the large library system we belong too. So It needs to have several options in a drop down list that each changes the url that is searched. I tried editing the searchform.php url but it didn't work for me at all. Personally I'd like to somehow just paste our current form right in but it's just a basic form html/css. Is that possible without messing up the wordpress functionality? This is the site I'm copying it from:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

This is what I believe is the entire form info:

Thanks of course.

#2 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Hi Ryan, Since this is separate from the core WP search functionality, I would recommend placing it in its own custom template. Of course, you would have to make sure that existing files were properly brought over into WP. For instance, there's on "onSubmit" function: you'll have to make sure that the JS file that's contained in is correctly pointed to from within the theme.

#3 ryanjohnjackson

ryanjohnjackson

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

So I shouldn't somehow do this in "functions" under the base theme? I'm a real n00b and I'm not sure what doc to edit. I took one php class and everything I built from scratch not using anyone else's setup files. So it was straight forward and I knew where everything was supposed to be edited. The search for this comes from the searchform.php in platformpro theme even when workign in the base theme correct? I thought when working from base you only edit inside base which overrides pro? You're saying I have to add this directly to the wordpress install? Thanks

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

Ryan, this one involves customization of WordPress functions that go beyond the searchform.php in the theme. I'd suggest you engage one of our pros for this as it's way past the scope we can provide in the forum.