Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Redirect first-time visitors to 'welcome' page

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi there. I would like to direct first-time visitors to a welcome (squeeze) page. I want the welcome page to be generated by Pagelines (i.e. not static html). I have found php script to achieve this. I wonder if someone can comment on where it would make the most sense to insert this code?

9 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hi Justin, Which theme are you using ?

Posted · Report post

I'm using Platform Pro Dev. Here's the site: http://www.sandbox.salesprocessengineering.net/ I want to set it up so that first-time visitors are directed to http://www.sandbox.salesprocessengineering.net/welcome/ Justin

Posted · Report post

Justin, I think this would be rather complicated, requiring the need for a cookie to validate against some benchmark to ensure that the visitor is new versus returning. That means likely inspecting the visitor's history, or, checking against a user base. That's beyond the scope of my level of support. I'd suggest hiring one of our pros for that at http://www.pagelines.com/pros

Posted · Report post

Per above, I have the PHP code, I was just seeking input into where to put it. I'm actually suspecting that I could probably create a gateway page that routes traffic either to the Welcome page or to the Blog Home page -- that way, I could avoid embedding code in WP altogether.

Posted · Report post

Justin, I wouldn't have a clue where to embed the php code and I'm suspecting it could crash your site. Depending on the code, it could theoretically go into the Custom Code in the header scripts area, but that's unlikely because PHP doesn't really run in the header, javascripts do. It could go into functions.php, but I'd have no clue what hook you'd use for this as it's really outside the scope of the theme functions and deeply into the realm of Wordpress and the browsers. I also suspect that you might be blocked by visitors who have cookies blocked.

Posted · Report post

Okay, no problem. Thanks for commenting. Those are my concerns too. I'll seek out a PL Pro as you suggest.

Posted · Report post

Those guys are amazing at creating work-arounds and solutions you or I might never think about.

Posted · Report post

Great. In the meantime, I'm using the What Would Seth Godin Do plug-in and that's a nice option as well. It cookies visitors and displays an inline textbox for the first x number of page-views.

Posted · Report post

Now that does sound like a sensible temporary solution!