Photo
- - - - -

Website ridiculously slow

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 ezyplan

ezyplan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:47 AM

My theme is incredibly slow. How can I make it faster? I??™ve contacted the host and checked pingdom, but nothing helps. I am not tehnically minded and have tried reading all the documentation, unsuccessfully installing wordpress update and WP Super Cache plugins,and am struggling to find a way to make a difference. Any suggestions?

#2 pagelinesuser

pagelinesuser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:46 AM

First, get us a live link.. what is the load time? Have you stripped media, plugins? Who are you hosting with?

#3 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:47 AM

First, get us a live link.. what is the load time? Have you stripped media, plugins? Who are you hosting with?

#4 ezyplan

ezyplan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:10 AM

website is www.ezyplan.com.au Load time 18-20 seconds, even to flick through pages once on site No. I did change one picture which helped reduce time down but still not happy. Only plugin activated is contact form 7 Hosting with Webhost4life Cheers.

#5 ezyplan

ezyplan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:06 AM

My front page has just gone completely bonkers. My 7 feature slides are no longer there let alone transitioning, and the text box below has disappeared. not sure whats going on...but should lokk like that

#6 ezyplan

ezyplan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:27 AM

okay back to normal now...

#7 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:31 AM

Yes, this is odd, there's nothing that's especially "heavy" on your site, the content is low and images are reasonably sized, there's no Flash loading or anything of that nature.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

seems to be a decent, legitimate enough web host. There are some unclosed tags you might want to fix:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Fix those errors and see if the problem persists. Other than that, you should contact your host and make sure that you're running PHP5 and ask how much your bandwidth is. I know that is all foreign to you, but those are the key things you need to ask your host and get that info and post it here. I was going to suggest caching plugins, but after checking your website there definitely is a main and hopefully fixable problem somewhere. Thanks, Bryan

#8 ezyplan

ezyplan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:56 AM

Thanks Bryan, Fixed up those unclosed tags and it revalidated successfully! I am certainly learning lots! I have posed the questions to the host so will post their responses. Cheers again.

#9 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:07 AM

No faster after validation? Try clearing the browser cache, restart your browser and then visit your site again, any improvements? Thanks, Bryan

#10 ezyplan

ezyplan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:37 AM

Pingdom still saying 21 secs. Sorry - english please..Browser cache?

#11 ezyplan

ezyplan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:42 AM

Real time to open site from scratch is anywhere from 13 to 21 seconds so fluctuates minute to minute..moving from page to page takes around 20 secs. The only reason it is frustrating is because a collegue has the same template with roughly the same content hosted by the same company and his site runs so much faster. Thats why I am determined to find a reason!

#12 ezyplan

ezyplan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:45 AM

Sorry one last thought - this feedback is coming from other computers than just my own - will be interested in Webhost reponse.

#13 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

Then what it's starting to look like is your host company is having problems with some of it's servers, servers are basically really fancy and super fast computers what your website is hosted/stored on, what you're paying for. Now although your colleague is using the same host/company/service, doesn't mean he's on the same server as you, so although you're having problems on your server, his server might be fine. So again, same host, many different servers and there is problems with any host from time to time when they're doing maintenance or updating etc. Apologies if some of this is confusing. What you want to do is ask your host for an ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) of when the servers should be fixed, if the problem still exists after that time, check back with them. If the problem remains for a long time, I would ask for a month free or discount to be compensated for that time. Good Luck. Thanks, Bryan

#14 ezyplan

ezyplan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:39 AM

Thanks - Webhost's response was that 'once the upgrades and maintenance has been completed it should run at 'normal' speed". I asked them if has taken them a month to conduct these upgrades and maintenance as this is how long we have had the issue!! Will see what progresses. They did confirm they are running PHP 5 and have unlimited bandwith. I guess if there is nothing technically wrong with the website/template then I will continue to harrass the server host. Thanks for all your suggestions and for allowing me a platform to vent my frustrations! Cheers Stephanie.

#15 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:03 AM

Well, they have admitted to the issue:

once the upgrades and maintenance has been completed it should run at 'normal' speed

So it's clear now what the problem is, once they "fix" whatever is going on be sure and check back if there are still problems.

Thanks, Bryan

#16 ezyplan

ezyplan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:54 PM

Hi again, This is their official response - English translation please!! "Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 90 seconds exceeded in boswinfs03homeuserswebb107whl.ezyplansite1wp-includespomostreams.php on line 16 It appears hat there is third party plugins or the themes installed from the application which makes the Wordpress application to get timed out. We have tried giving the maximum execution time using "php.ini", but the scripts were timing out. Please kindly unistall those Plugins or the Themes and ask the member to check the website functionality. Or else you can sign up for a Unix account, since php / mysql driven sites tend to run much faster on a unix host. You may need consider using a Linux hosting account to serve this site as that will reduce the load on the windows IIS pool as it serves both php and asp content. The mysql server serving the database is not indicated as our mysql servers are highly tuned for this environment. The common denominator is most likely to be the fact we're serving php on an IIS pool." Thoughts - oh yeah, they also deactivated and uninstalled all my plugins which has completely spazzed out my website so now I have to spend time reinstalling and setting up all my contact forms. Not happy!! Regards Steph

#17 scotman

scotman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:20 AM

Yea try changing hosts I had to go through a few hosting companies when I first started and finally got one with good service. I use HostGator but au might have different hosting companies. But as to the theme my website is very fast and loads fine I also use wp cache addon too. If you go with hostgator you might have to have them activate a few things to get PL themes going but that is the extent of it. They are right about the Linux server performance, make sure you choose Linux server plan over windows servers next time.

#18 pagelinesuser

pagelinesuser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:40 AM

sorry about all your trouble.. I promise its not the theme, as we've tested this over and over again to get optimum performance. Use pingdom.com/tools to check and see if anything turns up. Plugins/Themes can impact performance if they throw errors created by your hosted environment. (there are a lot of variables at play) So you're on a windows server? That could be an issue, WordPress is designed to run on a Unix based system (e.g. Apache is a Linux program)

#19 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:40 AM

sorry about all your trouble.. I promise its not the theme, as we've tested this over and over again to get optimum performance. Use pingdom.com/tools to check and see if anything turns up. Plugins/Themes can impact performance if they throw errors created by your hosted environment. (there are a lot of variables at play) So you're on a windows server? That could be an issue, WordPress is designed to run on a Unix based system (e.g. Apache is a Linux program)

#20 ezyplan

ezyplan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:15 AM

I have contacted the host to discuss changing to Unix based system. Don't worry - I love the template - in fact a business partner we have has asked if I can put a site together for them as ours looks so great. If we can get the hosting right then we are very happy - especially if a non-techy like me can make it look so good! Thanks to all the support forum team for the help. Couldn't have done it without you!