Photo

Problems with top navigation menus in EcoPro continued...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drcamjones@gmail.com

drcamjones@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

Hello Danny, I was using the plugin "WP-Copyright-Protection" which disables right-clicking. I've disabled this on: www.biologicalhealthservices.com.au" so you can inspect properly. Sorry. I'm not sure which version of EcoPro I'm using, but I bought it in Jan 2011. My main problem is that when I add an 8th or 9th menu element, it jumps down to the next line and looks awkward/bad. Regards, Cameron.

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15163 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

Hi Cameron, Ok I checked your site and you're using EcoPro 1.3.5, I would recommend upgrading to the latest version is 1.3.7. This may or may not fix your menu issue, but once you have updated your theme, try to add an 8th and a 9th menu item and see if the problem persists. Another you could try, would be to disable all your active plugins, to see if any of them are conflicting with the menu, once the the plugins are disabled, try to add an 8th, 9th menu item and see if the problem still persist. Once you have done this Cameron, post back with your findings. Also before you preform the update to the latest version, make sure to do a back up of any custom CSS or code you may have added, this is just a precaution.

#3 drcamjones@gmail.com

drcamjones@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

I will do this early next week and post back my findings. Thank you very much. Regards - Cameron.

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

We're looking forward to your reply!

#5 drcamjones@gmail.com

drcamjones@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:32 AM

Hello Danny, I have just upgraded to the latest version of EcoPro and the problem is still happening. Whenever I add a *new* menu item it jumps down to the next line and looks awful. I have had someone else check for plugin conflicts but am reluctant to disable all my plugins in case anything stops working. Surely there is a way to make the menu items automatically fill the top line???

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

Can you try to disable all plugins temporarily so we can eliminate it as a possible cause of the issue?

#7 drcamjones@gmail.com

drcamjones@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

Hi Catrina, I have now disabled each plugin in turn until they were all disabled after having put in a *new* menu element, and alas, with each refresh the new menu item still ended up on the second line. I then reactivated all plugins and still no difference, so I've had to delete the new menu element. All I want to do is add 1-3 new menu items on the topmost menu bar and have them all on the same line. Thanks for anyone's help :)

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:49 AM

Cameron,

The problem on your site is actually simpler than you might think. It's graphical, spatial and not plugin oriented at all.

I'd suggest you implement Get Firebug (http://www.getfirebug.com) for Firefox and use it to inspect the menu. You'll find that your brand logo falls into the menu are, cutting it a bit so that you actually have less available menu space and not full width. The menu at present is limited to 740px wide so with that constraint, anything that goes beyond 740px will naturally wrap. The code below brings it to 960px, giving you 220px more.

As a result, given the font size, spacing and weight you are using, the menu will wrap each time you add a new option (menu item). You can control this by moving the header image up, making the header area a bit taller. That should place your menu area to full width. This is in the code below.

Additionally, you can select a thinner, smaller font; replace the word home with a small home-shaped graphic and make sure each menu word is small (minimal characters), just as you're doing. I reduced your font size by 0.1em and the line height as well by the same measure. This should give you the full width in which to add two more menu items. It's tested on your site, live and works.

This CSS code will help considerably:
 #nav {
	    bottom: 0;
	    float: right;
	    font-size: 1em;
	    line-height: 1em;
	    margin-top: 0;
	    position: absolute;
	    right: 0;
	    text-align: right;
	    width: 960px;
	}

#9 drcamjones@gmail.com

drcamjones@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

Thank you rangelone - I will try this later this week when back in Office :) Your assistance is greatly appreciated. Cameron.

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15163 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hi Cameron, I have accepted Rangelone's answer, however, if his suggestion doesn't work. Simply, reply to this topic and it will revert back to unanswered.