Place a logo above specific category page

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rickona

rickona

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Has a convenient way yet been found to customize category pages? All I want to do is put a logo above the first post on the following category page: http://www.ohionews.org/category/ocog/ The WordPress backend allows you to copy the category template page (ex:category.php) and append the category name to the end (category-ocog.php) and it will use that alternate template via its hierarchy. That approach doesn't seem to be possible with the WhiteHousePro template. Has this yet been addressed? Has anyone found a workaround? Thank you, Rick

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

One of the best I've found has been to create a page, adding the graphic you want, then, install a plugin called Special Recent Posts which lets you add the posts to the page with a shortcode you can specify to the category.

#3 rickona

rickona

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

#4 rickona

rickona

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

That plugin unfortunately strips all the styling out of the excerpt for the post briefs. That's not going to work. Bummer.

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:53 AM

You couldn't apply the styling you want to the plugin's excerpt section? I did it in several sites. It didn't seem difficult at all.

#6 rickona

rickona

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

I may have overlooked that. Let me check it out.

#7 rickona

rickona

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

I don't see an excerpt section. Is that in the pro version you have to pay to get?

#8 rickona

rickona

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

They advertise 60+ customizations in the pro version but they don't specify if excerpt styling is one of them. I just want the dang excerpt to look like it does in the original post excerpt. It's a shame that I have to install a plugin, pay for it and re-style the excerpt that is already styled properly in the original post ... just to put an image on top of a specific category page.

#9 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

In your post editing screen, up at the top right, you should see "Screen Options" with a little down arrow. Please click that arrow and a panel will drop down. On the panel you'll see an option for Excerpts. Please check it. Return to your edit screen (below that) and scroll down below the main editing area. You should see an excerpt area. In the excerpt, you can include an image, but you must paste it in manually.

#10 rickona

rickona

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

I understand that already. What I'm saying, is that the formatting I have in the excerpt (bold, paragraph breaks, ect.) screen is stripped away when using the plugin. It takes the first three paragraphs and mashes them together into a single paragraph with no formatting. What I was asking is if I paid for the plugin, would it give me the option to use my fully formatted excerpt with my manually added jump link (which is inside the excerpt)?