unknown twitter error

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 153 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:46 AM

i have 2 sites. both using platform pro 3.5.1. and using Base. Both using Wordpress 3.2.1. Both Hosted by GoDaddy with the economy hosting package. On one site: the twitter feed that came with Platform Pro works. On the new site, i get the error. And before you all tell me to check for plug in conflicts. I have only installed some and not all of the recommended Platform Pro plug ins. So.. I have been reading the threads, and pross makes a good case that there could be server issues: (although I am sure that many people building wordpress sites are budget challenged and not using their own servers, but the usual suspects of hosting providers out there) but i am skeptical in this case. So, if this isn't a plug in problem, and probably isn't a hosting problem... then what? Any thoughts?

#2 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 153 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:49 AM

sorry. forgot one important detail: i am pulling in the SAME twitter account.

#3 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:38 AM

Wendy, This could be a hosting problem because the host may not be allowing the two feeds on a permission or sharing violation basis. That's something you really should check with them. I don't think that's a matter of budgets, but of settings, permissions, rights and resources. I'm unclear if the twitter link uses many resources, but it might, and this too would result in one of them shutting down. One thing's for sure, it's not a theme problem as the theme can't stop an external link such as Twitter or Facebook from connecting. However, have you checked all your settings in both accounts that they're exactly the same, making sure that the twitter link is activated for the one currently not working? Specifically, on the Blogs And Posts settings, and making sure the link is exactly the same under Header And Nav settings and finally, the twitter user name is the same, precisely, in both sites under Global settings. Lastly, have you activated the child theme, Platform Base?

#4 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 153 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

Hey there. thanks for thinking of all of these things. But, I don't think we have it figured out yet. To be clear, i really tested all of this. Here is what i did... Installed Platform Pro, then Base and activated Base. I entered my Twitter name into the Platform settings panel Global Options. And I immediately got the error. Unknown Twitter error @mytwittername (my twitter handle). The curious part is that the word mytwittername is a live link, and when clicked goes to my twitter page, so clearly i am communicating with Twitter. Then, I deleted the name of my twitter account from the Global Options panel and went directly to twitter and got the code from their site. I copied the code into a text widget. And Voila! The twitter feed works. Taking your suggestion that maybe their can't be two calls to Twitter, I also deleted the twitter URL from the Header and Nav, removed the code from the widget AND deactivated JetPack which comes with the Wordpress install, And still the feed that comes with Platform gives me the same error, but still with a clickable link to my twitter page. FYI. the site is brand new and i am only working on the homepage so far, so it is unlikely there are many opportunities for user error or conflict. Thanks again for your help. I am grateful for any other thoughts.

#5 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hey Wendy, What happens if you use another Twitter username?

#6 bizint

bizint

Advocate

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hi, I'm also getting an intermittent unknown error message....sometimes it works....but mainly an error www.lucyairambulance.org.uk any ideas!?

#7 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

Unknown Twitter error @mytwittername (my twitter handle). The curious part is that the word mytwittername is a live link, and when clicked goes to my twitter page, so clearly i am communicating with Twitter. Wendy that is just a normal html link, your browser is opening twitter there,not your server ;) These intermittent problems are because you are on shared hosting, twitter has enabled IP based throttling for its API, so if any of the 673 other sites that all share your server are hammering twitter, the whole server gets barred. http://www.yougetsig...-on-web-server/

#8 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 153 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

Pross - thanks. I know that is your standard answer, but in this case it seems unlikely for 2 reasons. the twitter feed that comes with platform NEVER works, and the Twitter code taken directly from Twitter NEVER fails. It isn't an intermittent problem. Also, I have them both activated right now, since isolating them didn't make a difference and I can see 1 feed working, the other not. Kate - i swapped out for different twitter username and it is exactly the same. the code taken from twitter is working 100% of the time. The code from the twitter feed that comes with platform NEVER works. It has got to be something else. Don't forget the link to the twitter account works. Just nothing feeds into the plugin that comes with Platform. Does anyone know who makes this plug in? maybe I can contact them. Twitter made a lot of changes to the oauth codes, but it was long enough ago, i would assume any bugs have been fixed. Maybe it has something to do with that?

#9 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

Wendy, it is not a standard answer. The twitter section in Platform is not an external plugin. Its code written by us, based on the same code used by the wordpress jetpack plugin. It does NOT use oauth, it queries the twitter API directly using the twitter name you supply and stores the result. You say you have two sites that are both intermittent?? I'm assuming they are on the same hosting right? So they will have the same IP, Shared with 600+ other sites. Your choices are: 1. Find a plugin on wordpress.org that uses oauth to connect to twitter. 2. Get some hosting with a dedicated IP.

#10 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 153 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:27 AM

Pross. thanks. I meant no offense. I know that you have advised that shared servers can be the problem, but I do not understand that explanation in this case. I am saying the problem is NOT intermittent. The platform code doesn't pull in the feed. EVER. the twitter code taken directly from twitter ALWAYS works. Re:oauth, i don't need it. I was just trying to be helpful as to what else the cause may be. You know better than i possibly could. But, I don't think that the shared server is responsible for the following reason. The Platform Plug-in NEVER worked. Even before I added any plug ins.. It always gives me the same message. "Unknown Twitter Error", but has a live link to my twitter account. Using the code from Twitter, I copied and pasted into a text widget and the code from Twitter ALWAYS worked. Same twitter account as the one that doesn't work. Same hosting, Same page on the my site: the home page. I tried a variety of combinations to ensure only 1 twitter call was being made, in order to see if that was the source of the conflict and still the platform plugin doesn't pull in the feed. Right now, I have both feeds on the home page and therefore connecting to the same server at the same time, and the plug in doesn't work. The Twitter Code Does. I would love to get to the bottom of this. Thanks so much. Wendy

#11 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:04 AM

What twitter code? can you paste it to pastie.org?

but has a live link to my twitter account.
This is a simple html link, it is not anything pulled fro the server.

If it isnt pulling the feed ever, and you are always getting the unknown error, it means your shared server cannot connect to the twitter api at all., It isnt even getting a 404, it is being refused probably for overuse.

Show us that code that works.

#12 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 153 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

this is the code that i copied and pasted from twitter. it always works. So it seems that my server IS connecting to Twitter? This shows up on my homepage in a text widget. The same page where the platform plug in is. The plug in Never works.

#13 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

Wendy, js is run on the client not the server. Your browser is loading that js, and fetching tweets and displaying them, not your website. All i can suggest is contacting webfusion and asking for a dedicated IP, usually costs $1 a month or something. Then you wont be sharing with 675 other people.

#14 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 153 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

hey there. i did find out 1 interesting thing. If you recall, I have 2 wordpress sites running platform pro. Both have the same platform pro twitter plug in, both call the same twitter account, both are on the same shared GoDaddy server. and 1 works and 1 doesnt. Interestingly, the one that works is running WP 3.1.2 and the one that doesn't work is running 3.2.1. Pross? do you think that is significant? I am completely stumped.

#15 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15064 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hi Wendy, Its always recommended to always have the latest version of Wordpress installed, but I don't think this is the culprit. I would advise like Pross said to contact your web host.

#16 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 153 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

actually it is the other way around. the feed works on the old version of WP.. The site that doesn't work has the latest wordpress installed. I spoke to my web host. Godaddy. they said ... pshaw... because clearly i can connect to twitter through the twitter widget that i downloaded with their code. i have given up. for now. FYI.. i have also tried other Twitter plug ins. NONE work. the only way to get a twitter feed is directly pasting the code.

#17 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:20 AM

GoDaddy is no friendly web host so I am not surprised this is happening. : I'm not sure of any other solutions (other than switching web hosts, which is an inconvenience).

#18 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

Wendy, the code you pasted is javascript, it loads the tweets through your browser, thats why it works anywhere it is not even on your server. Your browser executes that js and your browser fetches tweets to your PC using your IP, not your server. If no server side twitter plugins work then it is definatly your server IP that is being rejected by twitter for overuse. the only way round it is to either us clientside js ( that you know works ) or get your own dedicated IP from godaddy.

#19 wendygordon

wendygordon

• Members

• 153 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:17 AM

well, i will be able to give you the answer on friday. we are getting a dedicated server. (for other reasons) so, i can be the true guinea pig. if it works... hats off to you.. if not... back to the drawing board! thanks so much for all your help. One thing though... based on your answer, should we assume that the hardcoded plugin that comes with platform is using another means to call twitter?

#20 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

yes, it is communicating directly. If the jetpack for wordpress plugin shows your tweets then so will platforms, it uses the exact same method.