Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Add H1 Tag to Site Title

30 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi, I want to add an H1 tag to the Site Title rather than the Page Title. Any way to do this? I'm working locally right now so I don't have a link to post. Thanks.

Posted · Report post

Hi Pmurphy, Can I ask why you want to do this and what do you want to achieve by doing so ?

Posted · Report post

Hey Danny, I'm making a one page site using a "Page" as the home page. Because the site title appears first and most prominently, I want to give it an H1 tag. Right now, it has no heading tag.

Posted · Report post

There are plugins allowing you to use a different graphic on different pages, if this helps. I believe (could be wrong here) that the addition of the H1 tag would have to be done in a core file, not on a dynamic basis per page, unless one of my colleagues knows the way to do that with CSS. Is your site live so we could see it yet?

Posted · Report post

I don't have it live yet. I'm using a text site title rather than a header image. Any idea what the core file might be? I'm not concerned with the styling but rather the h1 tag for SEO purposes. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Posted · Report post

It's recommended that the core files stay as they are while you use a child theme based on the parent theme. Which theme are you using?

Posted · Report post

I'm using Platform Pro. I just want to add the H1 tag to my site title, which is text (not an image). Is there any way to do this? Thanks for your help!

Posted · Report post

First the child theme must be activated. Do you already have PlatformBase (the child theme) installed? If not, please download, unzip, and install it on your WordPress dashboard. The download is available on your Launchpad account.

Posted · Report post

Yes, already installed.

Posted · Report post

Can you post a link to your site?

Posted · Report post

I'm working on it locally right now. It's a one page site. I am using a "page" as the home page and I want to add an H1 tag to the Site Title.

Posted · Report post

Is the site title located in the header where the branding and navigation is?

Posted · Report post

Yes.

Posted · Report post

I'm going to flag this for the developers to view, I'm not 100% on how to do this unfortunately. While you wait, if you manage to get your site online rather locally, it may help us, so if you do let us know.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Danny. I'll have it up in a few minutes and I will post it here. I appreciate the help!

Posted · Report post

Hey all, I put it up. It's ganttcharttemplate dot com. I want to add an H1 tag to the first line of the page, which is the site title. Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Is the site title showing up dynamically on the page (by default, it does not). Or, are you adding it manually?

Posted · Report post

I just did a test on one of my sites and the title, by default, shows up with h1 size. I simply created a test page and named it "this is a test". Then, I went to PlatformPro Settings > Blogs and Posts, scrolling down to "Page Titles" and checked the box instructing Platform to place the title on the page by default. I then viewed my test page and using Firebug for Firefox looked at the source. The default heading is h1. Feel free to see it yourself at http://www.epicurus.com/members/this-is-a-test There was no customization needed. To make sure, I went to several different sites where I also have Platform installed with different design layouts and same thing. Every page title was h1. This begs the question... why is your site showing up h4? There must be some customization or plugin controlling it or, it's added in the page itself. This seems most likely because your title falls within the "entry_content" class which is where the actual content of the page goes.

Posted · Report post

Hi. Thanks for the test. I am aware of the PageLines setting for the page title. I can change the page title to H1 using the method you described. The trouble I am experiencing is that I would like the Site Title to be H1. This is where you have the epicurus.com logo on your test page. Any ideas?

Posted · Report post

It's a one-page website, which is why the site title needs to have an H1 tag.

Posted · Report post

The page title is contained inside the branding wrap area of your header. The file that contains this area should be opened and the

tags can be added around the site title (which is a link). The HTML looks like this:

The code in the file should look similar to this.

Gantt Chart Template
How To Make a Gantt Chart in Excel

Posted · Report post

Hi Catrina. I'm using Platform Pro and Platform base and the code in my header.php and template.branding.php both look nothing like that. Any ideas?

Posted · Report post

Apologies for my misunderstanding. I missed the bit where you explained what part you're looking to change and I guess I'm so used to calling it the branding section, it went right past me. As I understand it, you seek to add h1 tags or change any existing tags to h1 around the site title in the branding area. Your purpose in this has something to do with SEO. Is this correct? I'm not sure what SEO service, plugin or software is saying this is necessary, but to my experience, nothing could be further from the truth. My site, now online 15 years soared in the search engines with no optimization just from using Platform Pro. While I understand your desire, I think there may be some misinformation being given to you about the SEO effect an H1 tag would have. Search engines look for dynamic content - change, preferably daily. That would be better achieved by having an RSS feed active in a sidebar than with any font size tag. However, if your heart is firmly set on this, I'm informed by reliable sources that this can be done with a hook in functions. php. Or, if you just want to change the title tag, you can deactivate the Site Branding section entirely in Template Setup under Site Header and replace it with a Universal Sidebar. You can then go to the Universal Sidebar, add a text widget with the title embedded in h1 tags and the subtitle in h6. You can structure it with styling (add a few divs or classes) to align left, set fonts, colors, etc. Editing core files, as you know is not recommended.

Posted · Report post

I would love to use a hook. I'm guessing it would go in functions.php of Platform Base. Any ideas on how to just put a text title with an H1 tag as site title using a hook? Thanks!

Posted · Report post

You'd basically replace the branding image with the title in h1 tags. The specifics of this customization would really need one of our Pros. I'd suggest you reach out to them at http://www.pagelines.com/pros.