Photo

Getting the Twitter Sidebar Widget to Open Links In a New Window

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 nabiscuit

nabiscuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:02 AM

Pretty much what the subject says. Thanks for all your past help! Site came out great! www.thenatureofexistence.com Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

#2 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:02 AM

hmmm... could be tough. Somehow the `target="_blank"` attribute needs to be added to these links. Do you feel comfortable editing the plugin code?

#3 nabiscuit

nabiscuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

I do feel comfortable doing so. As long you tell me where it is. The plugin doesn't show up on my plugin list.

#4 nabiscuit

nabiscuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

!?!?

#5 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

ok open: "core" - "plugins" - "twitter.php" in a text editor. In this file look for `

#6 nabiscuit

nabiscuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

Okay... I tried it out. I got it to work on the twitter plugin on the feature page but once I tried to add the targets on the sidebar widget... my whole site went down. so i reverted everything back - and now the link discoveries in the twitter sidebar widget aren't formatting correctly. any help please? http://thenatureofexistence.com/ http://thenatureofex.../category/blog/

#7 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

The link discoveries? You also need to get the sidebar fixed on the home page. I believe you have code for this in previous thread. If not let me know. Roger Nygard...anyone relation to a Will Nygard currently making a living do mathematics in Japan?

#8 nabiscuit

nabiscuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

Yes, you know how if you post a link in your twitter status, the widget will automatically detect it's a link and make the link clickable? If you check out the category/blog, you'll see that the links in the twitter sidebar aren't formatting correctly. I have no idea why it's doing it. And when it comes to the sidebar on the homepage, I just gave up. I think it looks fine and I really can't see myself or the film needing that extra functionality. I have no idea about Will Nygard, but when I go back into work, I'll ask him! Thanks!

#9 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

I see what you mean now. Try using a twitter update that doesn't link to youtube. There are some weird parameters that seem to be missing and it would help to know if it's just a youtube problem. Also the signup/screenings form on the home page can be changed. The script that your using for that form has a size parameter specified. If you look at the code and change size to 30 it should look much better.

#10 nabiscuit

nabiscuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

cmunns, Okay... I specified the width for the contact form on the front page... I don't know why I did it - but if you wanted me to, it probably was for a good reason (it looked perfect to me). As for the other twitter issue - I'll get Roger to use a url shortener for the youtube links to see if that changes anything. I'll keep you posted. But still - if you could look at the twitter plugin and see exactly where i'm supposed to add the [target="_blank"] I'd appreciate it. I added it to every link in there and it brought the whole site down. So I had to undo it all.

#11 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

In the twitter.php file look for this code: ` $msg = ''.$msg.''; // Puts a link to the status of each tweet } else { $msg = $msg . ''.$linked.''; // Puts a link to the status of each tweet ` You can see I've added the target=_blank in the code already so you can search for it then add it like i have.

#12 style

style

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

I tried this for PlatformPro but unfortunately this did not work. I found this thread on it at Wordpress.org but am not sure how to implement it: http://wordpress.org...s-in-new-window

#13 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

Are you familiar with jquery?