• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 radio_mogul

radio_mogul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

I am building a portal site with STATION PRO. I have several unrelated content areas (music, sports, talk) that are independent of each other. Is there a way to to have a static page such as "music" that would host all blogs in the category "music," so that the net effect would be to have a "static" description at the top of the page and new blogs constantly being added. So far all I see are "pages" and "posts" but no way that a "page" can have "posts."

#2 kastelic

kastelic

Advocate

• Members

• 3081 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

I think the way to do this would be to either use a plugin that outputs posts on a page, or create a child theme and copy over _posts.php. Then put if statements in _posts.php that displays introductory content depending on what category you're in. You can create the pages by making a custom menu in Appearance -> Menus and adding Categories to it.

#3 radio_mogul

radio_mogul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

That might be a little beyond my skill level at this time. I think the plugin route is more suited to my pay grade. Do you know of any apps that fit the bill? The other thing that occurred to me is whether you could put a left sidebar or short sidebar under the page, and then specify a single parent category for the posts????

#4 radio_mogul

radio_mogul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

I downloaded the plug-in tpg-get-posts which did insert posts into my page, but I'm trying to figure out how to specify a particular category. I inserted the shortcode [tpg_get_posts(category="home-improvement")] and it added ALL posts, not the category specific ones. I'm trying to figure out how to remedy that. I'm just not that comfortable yet at messing around with css and php files. Is that the only place to make the changes? WP Template Tag page - http://codex.wordpre..._Tags/get_posts My sandbox page in question - http://yoursportsfan.../wp_test/hiusa/

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

I'd suggest asking the plugin author about that or using a different plugin with specific instructions on grabbing posts by category. There are several good ones out there.

#6 radio_mogul

radio_mogul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

which do you think are the two best? I'm surprised I didn't remember them from my first search. Thanks, SL

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:48 PM

I can't offiically recommend one and there are so many. It's easy to find them using http://www.wordpress.../extend/plugins and look for "category". One note on plugins... make sure they're up to date and are not broken. Also, check to see how many have downloaded and what version it is. The best plugins are frequently updated, have lots of users and have good feedback.

#8 radio_mogul

radio_mogul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

the author noted that I should be using the following: {tpg_get_posts category_name ="Home-Improvement"} (in brackets of course) and that worked perfectly!