• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cherrymount

cherrymount

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

Hi Guys, Are there any instructions for migrating from WHP+CongressForum (deep integration) to WHP+the new bbpress plugin? Would it be possible to put together a manual for helping people make the changeover?

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

You might want to try this plugin. http://wordpress.org...ns/bbconverter/

#3 cherrymount

cherrymount

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:50 PM

the new bbpress plugin for wordpress migrates over any forums/posts from an existing standalone bbpress installation. The bbconverter plugin is no longer required from what I can see. What I am talking about is configuring the congress forum theme to work once the user has migrated over to the bbpress plugin The problem is this: when someone running WHP migrates to the bbpress plugin (away from standalone bbpress) then WHP does not support the new version of bbpress - and the congress forum plugin becomes useless. People running WHP + Congress forum need to find a way of somehow merging the congressforum theme inside WHP.

#4 ntsmedia

ntsmedia

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:17 AM

This is rather a significant issue and I'm not finding anything coherent regarding the bbPress v2.0 (WP Plugin version) and the Congress Forum theme for bbPress. Not that bbPress is very helpful either but the Congress theme is part of the paid "Pro" version so it seems fair to expect some Pagelines support and instructions (or say it doesn't work and what is being done to update it). And, what about "deep integration"? Thanks John

#5 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 13234 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

Hi John, Regarding deep integration, this is on longer needed when using bbPress 2.0 as this is now a plugin. As for your other question, you could try reading this: http://www.pagelines...olutions#Item_1

#6 cherrymount

cherrymount

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

I teach people how to setup wordpress sites and encourage them to buy premium themes. What am I supposed to say if one of my students asks about pagelines support? ...am I missing something here? ...is there no answer to my question?

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

May we have a link to your site? I'd like to see the issue in process.

#8 ntsmedia

ntsmedia

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Thanks ... unfortunately I had seen that thread but it doesn't address basic issues of the Congress Forum bbPress theme and the new bbPress v2. It seems rather clear that the future of bbPress is going in the v2.0 direction (using a WP Plugin) and, based upon a test install of the plugin, that the bbPress themes provided with the Pagelines Pro themes (Whitehouse in this specific case) do not work with the Plugin version of bbPress. So ... at this moment, I've got a Pro version theme that comes with a bbPress theme to match the design of the WP theme in a bbPress Forum as a starting point that requires me to install the older stand-alone bbPress. It looks as though that will, or has already, become a dead end development path. Regards John

#9 ntsmedia

ntsmedia

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:48 PM

The site I am working on is actually devel version of a client's membership site (client has license for WhitehousePro) and I can't post it. My goal is to provide a cleaner and less "top-heavy" forum solution to SimplePress Forum which we have in use currently (and perhaps add BuddyPress). I can certainly describe the two most obvious issues with bbPress v2.0 and WhitehousePro ... 1. When installed and activated bbPress v2.0 simply uses the theme's default page template. I see no way of defining a different page template such as perhaps using the full width page template. 2. I see no way of telling bbPress to use the Congress Forum theme provided by PageLines with the Whitehouse Pro downloads. Basically, bbPress is there but substantially unusable as it is rather ugly and disjointed. It doesn't yield any errors with the WHP theme but isn't working with it intelligently either. If I start manually fussing with it and all of the CSS I'm pretty sure I would end up with a real mess or, at best, a customized creation that doesn't lend itself to upgrading anything. Regards, John

#10 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

John, @cherrymount opened this discussion with a request for information and assistance and whether anyone believes it or not, I'm trying to assist. If you have your own issues with bbPress and PlatformPro, please open a separate question to discuss those issues in specificity. Thanks.

#11 ntsmedia

ntsmedia

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:24 AM

Very sorry but I thought I was expanding upon his problem with basically the same issue ... not with PlatformPro. I'll stay off and see if you can help him get the CongressForum working with bbPress v2.0. John