Photo

"Featured Image" is not available when adding/editing JigoShop products.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.4

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

I've installed JigoShop. Nice plugin. I increased the memory allocation to 64MB which solved the only problem I was experiencing... until I started adding products. Everything looks great, except that the "Featured Image" box at the bottom of the right hand panel (same place it is on all posts) doesn't show up. I'm confused. This is critical functionality in the visual world in which we live. People need to "see" something, even if it is only a virtual product. Any suggestions? Thx.

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

Featured images do not appear on pages Ian. It's a WP function and not a problem with WHP or JigoShop. You can get a plugin that will add a featured image or thumbnail function to pages.

#3 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

Thanks... and I now understand that Featured Images are a WP function, but I'm a little confused. The JigoShop tutorials specifically tell you to go to the bottom right and specify the featured image for your product. I would conclude that the JigoShop folks think that another plugin isn't needed, and that JigoShop is supposed to work with featured images. From their user guide on how to add a product: "Lastly, the main product image is added via the ???Featured image??? write panel in the right hand sidebar beneath the tag input form. The main product image is the one which appears on category pages and is displayed on the product details pages." Problem is, this "Featured image" write panel is just plain missing :(

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

Ian, are you sure they said to do so on the "page" or a post?

You might try this in the functions.php in platformbase:
 // ADD THUMBNAIL SUPPORT FOR PAGES ----------//
	if ( function_exists( 'add_theme_support' ) ) {
	  add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );
	}
	// THIS INCLUDES THE THUMBNAIL IN OUR RSS FEED
	function insertThumbnailRSS($content) {
	global $post;
	if ( has_post_thumbnail( $post->ID ) ){
	$content = '' . get_the_post_thumbnail( $post->ID, 'thumbnail' ) . '' . $content;
	}
	return $content;
	}

add_filter('the_excerpt_rss', 'insertThumbnailRSS');
	add_filter('the_content_feed', 'insertThumbnailRSS');

The last two lines will add thumbnails to your RSS feeds.

#5 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

They aren't explicit, but the following three lines from their user guide (two from immediately above my previously pasted text, above) suggests that their notion of "products" translates to the WP notion of "posts"... "Products can be assigned to categories and given tags ??“ just like a standard WordPress posts. Lastly, the main product image is added via the ???Featured image??? write panel in the right hand sidebar beneath the tag input form. The main product image is the one which appears on category pages and is displayed on the product details pages. To add further images, creating a gallery on the product details page, simply attach extra images to the post." I will try to add the code you suggest, but honestly, none of the JigoShop materials suggests that it should be necessary. Could there be a setting somewhere in WP or WHP (or even JigoShop) that enables Featured Images in posts? I've looked pretty thoroughly and I don't find any such setting... hmmm....

#6 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

Hey rangelone, I'm sorry to be such a numb nuts, but I don't see a platformbase folder. I'm not running Platform Pro, is that why? I see two functions.php files. One seems to be for all WP functions (located in the wp-includes folder), and the other more specific to WHP (located in the themes folder). Which functions.php file do I modify?

#7 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

Just to cross-pollinate with my forum posts on wordpress, here is the link: http://wordpress.org...rking?replies=1

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:06 AM

Oooops. I'm sorry Ian. It would be in the functions.php of your WHP... wp-content/whitehousepro/functions.php They must be referring to posts, not pages Ian. Why? Because pages don't normally fall into categories either. If they are referring to anything that is categorized by WP, it must be a post. Pages are for static content such as a contact form or an about us page. Not usually for dynamic, flowing content, such as a catalog.

#9 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:16 AM

To further confuse matters, I have left a comment on the JigoShop community forum, here: http://jigoshop.com/...king/#post-6141

#10 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:48 AM

rangelone... dude (or dudette) !!! YOU ROCK! It worked! You can have my first born or my share of the national debt, whichever will cost you less :) Seriously... thank you sooo much. This may actually allow me to make $0.50 this month off my website.