• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 glynt

glynt

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Framework Version:2.4.1

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

HI all, I want to change the layout of my blog page. I am using 'magazine mode', but I want to customise it. Some of the things I would like to do is to change the size of the thumbnails, remove some of the white space, and perhaps change the number of columns. If anyone can give me any hints or tips on how to accomplish this it would be most appreciated! Many thanks, Glyn (PlatformPro,

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

)

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

Thumbnails and white space could be handled using CSS. Do you want the thumbnails larger or smaller? As for columns, how many do you want displayed?

#3 glynt

glynt

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

HI Catrina, Thanks for getting back to me. I want the thumbnails larger, but I would like to be able to make have the ability to make them different sizes. I'm not sure for columns, but would like to experiment with three, but to keep a couple of full width ones. Any tips on the css coding would be great! Thanks, Glyn

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

If you're going to make each thumbnail a different size, are they going to change size every single time or is there going to be some kind of consistency in sizes depending on post?

#5 glynt

glynt

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

Actually I'm not sure.... I need to try out a few things and see how it looks. I envisage a large thumbnail with fullwidth posts and a smaller one with the posts in columns, but larger than it is now... and occasionally having a larger thumbnail in the columns depending on the content. I can't really be more specific until I've started playing around with it to see how it looks.... Thanks, Glyn

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:09 AM

Hi Glyn, Would it be possible to post a link so we can take a closer look?

#7 glynt

glynt

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:25 AM

HI Dannyh, The link is

But there's nothing much to see at the moment except the standard 'Magazine mode' layout.... I just want to make it a bit more interesting... Any ideas most welcome!! Many thanks, Glyn

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

Hi Glynn, After visiting yout site, I noticed that you have been able to change the size of the thumbs to 40x40, so whats happening when you try to increase the size beyond the default 150x150? To remove some of the white space, I would reccommend checking out Adams post and have a play about with it.

As for changing the number of columns, I'd would suggestion contacting one of the Pagelines Pro's

#9 glynt

glynt

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:46 AM

Hi Dannyh, Thanks for your message. I have no idea how i have changed the size of my thumbnails and can't find a setting for it.... I'm sure it is staring me in the face, but could you point me in the right direction? In the meantime, thanks for the links, I'll take a look and see what I can work out. Many thanks, Glyn

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hi Glyn,

To change your Thumbnail size settings, go to your Wordpress admin panel.

From there go to Settings and then Media. It should take to a screen that looks like this:

Posted Image

At the top of the Media Settings screen there is a section called Image sizes and underneath that there is Thumbnail size, change the size to whatever you want, the default setting is 150x150 pixels.

#11 glynt

glynt

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

Hi Dannyh, I'm afraid these settings are already at 150 x 150. When I switch to 'blog' mode instead of 'magazine' mode the thumbnails are 150x150. However, in 'Magazine' mode they shrink to a tiny 40x40... I'm wondering if there is another setting or some css to change the size of the thumbs in Magazine mode...? Many thanks, Glyn

#12 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hi Glyn, Could you create an account for me on your site so I can take a closer look? If you're not comfortable in doing that, could you provide me with all your settings so I can try to recreate your site, so I can try to resolve this.

#13 glynt

glynt

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

HI Dannyh, I'm very nervous about security as I have had my websites hacked twice in the past, so now I am the only user with a very complicated password! Which settings do you need? I have a few websites with the PlatformPro theme and very different settings and they all act the same - if I enable 'magazine' mode I get tiny thumbs, and if I enable 'blog' mode I get nice big ones... Many thanks, Glyn

#14 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

Hi Glyn, I completely understand, I am currently trying to recreate this and I'll post back when I have an answer for you.

#15 glynt

glynt

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

Great, thanks very much, I really appreciate it!

#16 marconator

marconator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

In Magazine-Mode you can add Full-with Posts for the Homepage, they show the excerpt with the thumbnails, but in the Categories, there are all Posts shown as Post Clips with tiny little pictures. I would like to change that too.

#17 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

@Glynt @Marconator I think if you read this, it may be the solution.

#18 glynt

glynt

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

HI Danny, thanks very much, that works perfectly! Cheers, Glyn

#19 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

No problem Glyn

#20 jsecore

jsecore

Advanced Member

• Members

• 32 posts
  • Framework Version:latest

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

I have tried that get the thumbnail above title and it is not working:

I want to have 4 large photos with just the title on the homepage. I was also wondering if there is a way to have the photo link and the text link go to a specified URL and not the post?