10 replies to this topic

#1 missyjknox

missyjknox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

http://logallot.com/ And I'd like to duplicate a couple of its features: the feature area and the boxes below it. Here are my issues: 1. I cannot find step-by-step instructions on setting up features. The video works with preexisting materials and is very hard to follow. I honestly don't know where to start and the three steps in the documentation is too vague. 2. Same as above for the boxes. Since I am writing about different subjects, I would like to duplicate what she does by naming the category in the header of the box and include an image an excerpt. Is this possible?

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:16 PM

Missy, first, to create a menu like the one on that site, you should visit http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/ and find the menu that suits your desires most. Look at the source code, copy any images, upload them, repath in CSS using notepad, then place the CSS in your Custom Code CSS Rules. As for the boxes that appear in the main content area, there are several ways to go about this, however, being an old fashioned type, I still believe in tables and nested tables. You can create one outer table, with heavy padding, then tables within each cell that have a header (with that background, and RSS Feed in each cell. There are RSS readers that will actually read your site by category, posting one title and excerpt with link. Some CSS can be done to style the View More footer in each small table. The other way is to use DivUpContent, a plugin that divides the main content area. I've tried it and it does work, but requires about the same level of customization that tables do. Learn about styling tables here: http://www.w3schools...s/css_table.asp and about DivUp here: http://wordpress.org.../divup-content/

#3 MrFent

MrFent

• Members

• 237 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:53 AM

Here's a full tutorial for the feature slider: Activate the Feature Slider There are different ways to set up the Feature Slider. Create a new page Create a new page using the "Feature Page" template From your WordPress Administration Panel: Select the "Pages" panel, then "Add New" Enter a title for your new page Under "Page Attributes" click the "Template" dropdown Select "Feature Page" Click "Publish" Click "View Page" You will now see the Feature Slider with the five default Features on your new page. (By default, you will also see the PageLines Boxes underneath the Feature Slider. This is because the Feature Page template also has the PageLines Boxes section turned on by default.) ----- Activate the Feature Slider on existing pages From your WordPress Administration Panel: Select the "PlatformPro" panel, then "Template Setup" Select the Template Area that you want the Feature Slider to go If you select the "Page Template area, by default the Feature Slider will be displayed on every page that is assigned to the type of Page Template you choose If you select "Header" or "Morefoot," by default the Feature Slider will be displayed on every page regardless of the Page Template Drag the "Pagelines Features" section from the "Available/Disabled Sections" over to the "Displayed Default Page Sections" The template configuration will save automatically You will now see the Feature Slider on every page that it is active on. -------- Hide the Feature Slider on individual pages From your WordPress Administration Panel: Select the "Pages" panel, then "All Pages" Click to edit the page that you wish to hide the Feature Slider On the "Meta Panel," click the "Page Setup" tab Under "PageLines Section Control," click "Hide PageLines Features" Click "Update" Because the Feature Slider is displayed by default when you activate it, you will need to use this method for every page that you do not want the Feature Slider displayed. ------ Show the Feature Slider on individual pages You can also hide the Feature Slider by default, and choose the pages you want to show it on. From your WordPress Administration Panel: Select the "PlatformPro" panel, then "Template Setup" Make sure you have the correct Template Area selected for the type of pages you want to hide Under "Displayed Site Header Sections" click PageLines Features "Advanced Setup" Click "Hide This By Default" Click "Save Options" Show Features Now the Feature Slider will be hidden by default until you select to show it on the individual page. Select the "Pages" panel, then "All Pages" Click to edit the page that you wish to hide the Feature Slider On the "Meta Panel," click the "Page Setup" tab Under "PageLines Section Control," click "Show PageLines Features" ----------------- Add New Feature From your WordPress Administration Panel: Add new feature Select the "Features" panel, then "Add New Feature" Enter a Title for your Feature By default this will be displayed as a Heading on your Feature Slide Enter text to be displayed on the Feature Slider. Choose your Feature Setup Options Feature Text Position This option will control the position of the Feature's title & any text that you wrote Feature Background Image Click "Upload Image" Browse your computer for your background image & click "Open" If you already uploaded a background image to your server, simply type the full URL of the image & click "Save Meta Settings" Tips For Creating a Background Image The default image width & height is 930x330 pixels The width of the Feature Slider is determined by the "Content Area" width in the "Layout Editor" settings There is a padding of 15 pixels on the right & left side of the Feature Slider If the total "Content Area" width is 960 pixels, the width of the Feature Slider will be 930 pixels If the image you created is wider than the Feature Slider, the ends of the image will cropped, not squished To change the height of the Feature Slider, go to the "PlatformPro" panel, click "Feature Settings" then under "Feature Area Height, "enter the new height in pixels. Supports .png, .jpg, & .gif Feature Design Style Select the design style you would like this feature to have (e.g. default background color, text color, overlay? etc...) The Background Color will appear behind any background image you use Using the default "Transparent Text Overlay" will help distinguish your text if there is a background image behind it Feature Media Image Upload an image of the appropriate size for the feature media area Click "Upload Image" Browse your computer for your image & click "Open" If you already uploaded an image to your server, simply type the full URL of the image & click "Save Meta Settings" The position of the Feature Media Image will depend on the "Feature Text Position" setting Supports .png, .jpg, & .gif Feature Media HTML Insert HTML, Embed Code From YouTube, Flash, etc... To use this you must not use a Feature Page Image If you are embedding an iframe and are having issues with drop-down menus dropping behind your video, try adding "?wmode=opaque" to the end of your embed code Feature Thumb When your Feature Navigation Mode is set to "Thumb Navigation," create an image 50px wide by 30px tall and upload here Supports .png, .jpg, & .gif Feature Link URL Adding a URL here will add a link to your feature slide Link Text Enter the text you would like in your Feature Link URL Navigation Label When your Feature Navigation Mode is set to "Feature Names," enter the title you would like to appear Click "Publish" -------------------

#4 MrFent

MrFent

• Members

• 237 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

Feature Sets A Feature Set is what controls which Features are displayed on certain pages Create Feature Set Create Feature Set From your WordPress Administration Panel: Select the "Features" panel, then "Feature Sets" Type a Name for the Feature Set This name is how it will appear on your site Type a Slug for the Feature Set The ???Slug??? is the URL-friendly version of the Feature Set Name. It is usually all lowercase and contains only letters, numbers, and hyphens Click "Add New Category." Assign Features to a Feature Set Assign Features to Set From your WordPress Administration Panel: Select the "Features" panel, then "Features" Click to edit the Feature that you want to assign You can also select multiple Features by checking the box next to the Title and under "Bulk Action," select "Edit," then click "Apply" Check the box next to the Feature Set that you want to assign the Feature to. Click "Update" You can assign a Feature to more than one Feature Set You can also assign a Feature to a Feature Set while you are creating the Feature Assign a Feature Set to the Feature Slider Assign Feature Set to Slider From your WordPress Administration Panel: Select the "Pages" panel, then "All Pages" Click to edit the Page that you want to assign the Feature Set to On the MetaPanel, click "Feature Slider Section" Under "Select Feature Set To Show," click the drop down to select a Feature Set Click "Save Meta Settings" If you do not assign a Feature Set to an active Feature Slider, the Feature Slider will display all of your Features ------------ Feature Meta These settings will further customize your Features. From your WordPress Administration Panel: Select the "PlatformPro" panel, then "Feature Settings" Feature Navigation Mode This controls what the buttons for each Feature slide will look like If you select "No Navigation," you must set the Feature Slider to "auto mode." (using the Feature Viewing Time setting) Otherwise your users will have no way to go to the next Feature and the Feature Slider will stay parked on the first one Feature Viewing Time (Timeout) This controls whether or not the Feature Slider will be manual or automatic By default, the Feature Slider is set to manual mode and has a Timeout value of 0. To change to automatic, enter a value in milliseconds to control how long each Feature slide will appear before transitioning to the next one Feature Transition Time (Timeout) This controls the amount of time in milliseconds that it takes for a Feature to transition to the next one Transition Effect Click the drop down to choose from 28 different transition effects Show Play/Pause Button When the Feature Slider is set to Automatic Mode, check this box to add a play/pause button to the Feature Slider. That way users can pause the automatic transitioning in order to watch a video, read a feature, etc.. Number of Feature Slides This will limit the number of Features that will appear in the Feature Slider, regardless of the number of Features assigned to the Feature Set Feature Post Source The Feature Slider will by default use "Feature Post (custom post type)" slides that you create. As an alternative, you can set the Feature Post Source to show a category of regular Blog Posts instead of Feature Posts Click the drop down menu to select "Use Post Category" Post Category If your Feature Post Source is set to "Use Post Category," click the drop down to select the post category that you want to use Select Feature-Set for Posts & 404 Pages Under "Select Posts/404 Feature-Set," click the drop down to select a Feature Set Feature Area Height To change the height of the Feature Slider, enter the height (in pixels) into the text box The default height of the Feature Slider is 330 pixels Remove Transition Syncing This controls whether features can move on to the screen while another is transitioning off. If checked, features will have to leave the screen before the next can transition on to it Click "Save Meta Settings"

#5 missyjknox

missyjknox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

I still can't get the feature slider appear on my blog page. Unable to address blog page meta settings due to this note on the page: Note: Individual page settings do not work on the blog page (use the settings panel). I don??™t know exactly where to go in the settings panel or what to do when I get there. Steps I did take: 1. On the blog page, made template = feature page 2. Template Setup = feature page 3. Feature settings/Post feature source = use post category (post category chosen as well)

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15702 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hi Missyjknox, Is your Blog page set to the static Posts page on WP Admin -- > Settings --> Reading

#7 missyjknox

missyjknox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

Hey Danny, the static page is my home page, not the blog

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15702 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:34 PM

OK, so if you go WP Admin -- > Settings --> Reading and where is says Posts page, select your blog page from the drop down. Then edit your blog page and choose the feature template.

#9 missyjknox

missyjknox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

Danny, the post page has been set at blog for quite some time. As noted above, I already chose feature template on the blog page.

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 15702 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hi Missy, If you like you can send me a PM with account details so I can take a closer look ?

#11 missyjknox

missyjknox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

Okay, pertinent info in your inbox...thanks