Photo
- - - - -

Adding a list into page based on categories

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 triffendesign

triffendesign

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

I am working with EcoPro and have a page set up as a highlight page. I would like to have a little bit of text at the top of the page and then have an automatically created list consisting of the blog entry title and excerpt (in this case it will be a recipe title and then excerpt). I am unsure how to accomplish this or if it can even be done. Thanks in advance.

#2 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:33 AM

I'm pretty sure it is possible, are you looking to only include data from one or more specific categories, if so which ones? Also, please provide a link to your website. Thanks, Bryan

#3 triffendesign

triffendesign

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

First of all, the url is:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

What I am looking for is something like what would turn up in a search with the Title and then the excerpt of the blog posts. For instance, If I were to click on the Baked Goods link (under recipes) all the different recipes that had "Baked Goods" as one of the Categories would then be put up there in a kind of list (alphabetically or by date).

Thanks.

#4 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:03 AM

It might not be the very best possible solution, but here's what I would do that will work:

1. You'll need to first create categories:

2. Use this plugin:

and then set your pages (

for example ) to redirect to the category page for "recipes"

there is even a further trick to make

that I can't think of off the top of my head.

3. Create posts (not pages) and assign them the category you want and they'll appear listed on the appropriate page.

4. Then there is further ways to edit how the lists of category posts appear.

Get that far and then come back, I'll take another look and we'll look into refining it more if you want.

Thanks, Bryan

#5 triffendesign

triffendesign

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for all of your help. I have been using this forum extensively. I have completed the above suggestions and was able to get what I wanted. Now comes the hard part. As it sits now, if I click on "Recipe" I will get a lot of different recipes in a blog format. How would I go and change that so that all I get is the Title and date created in a smaller list. I understand that this may involve some changes to templates (or even create a new one) and .css. I have some experience with .css so I can muddle through that with help, but the templates and php are completely foreign to me. Again, thanks for your help.

#6 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:14 PM

Do you know how to create a new page template. It's pretty simple and a quick google search will get you what you need.

Alternatively this may be easier just adjusting the logic of the code that is already written so that we can write an additional line of code to get a category list to show up, but I'm still not sure how hard this is going to be to get you titles and dates of post.

I would try using this plug-in

on a blank page to see if that helps a little. It's a better route.

Finally you could just make the recipes tab so it's not clickable?

#7 triffendesign

triffendesign

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

I understand the difficulties. However, I am going to be a stickler about this one up until the very last (if that point comes, I guess I will relent). Let me give the plug-in a try and get back to you. Thanks.

#8 triffendesign

triffendesign

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

I think I may have a problem. When I set this up, I forwarded the Recipes page (

) to the category page (

). This seems to impede all I have tried. Would it be possible to put a new template out there for the category pages I have set up?

#9 triffendesign

triffendesign

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

I just found this

. I am not sure this is applicable to what I am trying to do. Or if this helps at all. I think it does because I would like to have a unique template for the category pages. However, I am not sure I understand the hack.

#10 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what else I could have you try. Thanks, Bryan

#11 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members