Photo

How do you remove/change position of the primary sidebar on category pages?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:55 AM

Hi :) I have 2 category pages as post pages and I'm trying to change the postion of my primary sidebar. Is there a way to only style category pages so that it doesn't affect any other page format? Does that make sense? Thanks!

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

Have you tried Widget Logic? A plugin available at http://www.wordpress.../extend/plugins

#3 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:13 AM

unfortunately that didn't work. The problem is that it's the primary sidebar in the content area. I hit the "hide primary sidebar" option for the "Forum" page but the actual page isn't showing. I have post category pages showing as blog pages. How do I edit a category page to hide the primary sidebar in the content area? :)

#4 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:15 AM

Category pages are "posts pages" I believe. So you'll have to set your posts pages default to not display sidebars (Template Setup). The downside is that the sidebars won't show on any type of posts page.

#5 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:35 AM

Hey mama, The sidebar I'm trying to hide is the primary sidebar. That sidebar is part of the content area and the Template Setup doesn't give the options to separate the 2. If I take away the content area...nada.

#6 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:41 AM

You should really put the sidebar in the "sidebar 1", "sidebar 2", or "sidebar wrap" section within Template Setup. That way you can separate the two. :)

#7 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

Is there a custom CSS code I could use to hide the primary or universal sidebar on my post page? I've tried setting the template, hiding in the post page but still nothing. Thanks :)

#8 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

Nothing I do will hide my sidebar on my post pages. This is really bothering me.

#9 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

Visit PlatformPro -> Blog and Posts -> Posts Page-Content Layout

#10 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:08 AM

I'm sure this is annoying you as much as it is me Jenny. I appreciate you taking the time. The post page is showing both primary and universal. I'm trying to hide one or the other. When I don't have a post page designated in settings, the page layout is fine. only showing one sidebar, all good. When I hit "Forum" as my post page, both sidebars pop up and no matter what I do, I can't get rid of one or the other! arrrghhh.

#11 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:12 AM

You're not annoying me at all! In fact, I hope I am able to help you. :) Just to clarify, your Forum is a posts page and not just a page? Perhaps the best setting is to apply whatever options affect the most pages. For example, if you can make all of the pages appear how you want, except the Forum page, that's great. Then we can try to fix just the Forum page with CSS. And remember it's always helpful to include a link to any relevant posts/pages in your site so we can take a look.

#12 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:19 AM

My Forum is a post page but it WAS made into 2 category pages so they could both show different posts. "Forum" and "Daily Feed" I removed the categories from the menu so I could try and adjust the sidebar on the Forum Page but no haps. How could I do that with. Both sidebars aren't budging. So make the Forum page a "Highlight" page or something like that? How would I do that with CSS? Here is a link http://modelalliance.org/forum Thanks Jenny :)

#13 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:22 AM

I removed the login information you posted because I would hate for someone (outside of the moderators) to go in and mess up your site. If you'd like me to check it out, please send login information to me via message. If you could include the login URL also that would be great.

#14 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

They would do that?! horrible. sending now. Thanks so much.

#15 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:33 AM

FYI, helping @kellid via message :)

#16 kellid

kellid

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

hey there, I figured it out. I don't know what I did. I thought i Needed the universal sidebar for the homepage but I found a way around it. THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking so much time out and personally helping me. I too am a mama at home and finding my niche. I appreciate you!!! Kelli

#17 Jenny

Jenny

Advocate

• Unicorn Store Dev

• 2924 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

Yay! I'm so glad you got it figured out. :) Hopefully some of the information I sent you was of help.