• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 weltraumaffe

weltraumaffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

Hi, I'm using the platformpro theme and want to add a skyscraper-ad on the right. Not as a widget, as a outstanding banner at the "canvas area". how can i do this?

#2 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

It would interfere in the content most likely and therefore I'd recommend against it. May I ask what's wrong with a sidebar for this purpose? May we have a link to your site?

#3 weltraumaffe

weltraumaffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

i dont want to place it so prominent and my sidebar is already full of content. url: http://www.maenner-style.de (german fashion blog)

#4 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

If you place it, somehow, within the loop (content area), I'm convinced it will mess up your posts and list of posts. Since it would cut the available space for the loop anyway, may I suggest you try a different layout. You could try two sidebars with one double-width sidebar above them for your wider sidebar content. I see from your site that some of your sidebar content is narrow, with plenty of whitespace on the side. Please see http://www.epicurus.com/Glossary/ for an example of this structure. This is set to 1020px wide, with two sidebars each of 192px. A Sidebar Wrap sits above the two sidebars (with wider content).. That site uses Magazine format, but it could equally use Blog format. That would give you a full sidebar, clear of any content and ready for your skyscraper.

#5 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

A hook would possibly achieve your goal, however, I'm unable to describe the placement of the code, or suggest the proper code to place in functions.php. I'd suggest that for this unusual request, you use one of our Pros to develop this particular function. http://www.pagelines.com/pros

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:43 AM

Do you want to add the skyscraper image as a banner that is placed in the layout using a hook? It could be added as as an image using a hook (it's doesn't have to be uploaded as a banner).

#7 weltraumaffe

weltraumaffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

i want to add it beside the layout. is there any hook for this?

#8 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

There is no pre-written code for this. It would have to be created. And though you've rejected my best advice, I can absolutely assure you that it will mess up your main content area. If you used Widget Logic (a plugin) you could add it to a sidebar and make it disappear for specific pages, posts or categories. As we do not know exactly what you expect the final results to be, we in the forums couldn't write your code. Once you've done that, we could help you correct any mistakes. I just wish to politely remind you that the main content area is a fixed width. If it's 660 pixels wide and you add a 160 pixel wide skyscraper, are compressing the content that will appear on the side to 500 pixels. It will look very bad, and will come right up to the edge of the image with NO PADDING. Whether using Blog or Magazine mode, your titles, excerpts and other information will be pushed together, making those listings look terrible. Again, if you want to create this unique hook, I strongly suggest hiring one of our pros to do it.

#9 storm09

storm09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

Hi - I was just admiring the font you've used for your Post headers http://www.maenner-style.de/ - what is it called? It's really nice & clean. Cheers.

#10 weltraumaffe

weltraumaffe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

it's called Ubuntu.