• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 burntsynapse

burntsynapse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

In "Appearance > Widgets" the "Inactive Widgets" section advises: "Drag widgets here to remove them from the sidebar but keep their settings." Although the reposition pointer appears when I hover over available and inactive widgets, I only get a hyperlink pointer when mousing over the active list on the right. I'm trying to remove all the page listings from the bottom of interstellarflight.org.

#2 kastelic

kastelic

Advocate

• Members

• 3081 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:07 PM

The things on the right are widget areas, which aren't widgets, they contain widgets. They aren't meant to be moved.If you want to not use one, leave it blank. The primary one has default content that appears if no widgets are active in it, so use Template Control to or the Pagelines Section Control on each page to disable it.

#3 burntsynapse

burntsynapse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

Hi Kast, I'd like to confirm I understand. Are you saying these instructions are incorrect: "Drag widgets from here to a sidebar on the right to activate them. Drag widgets back here to deactivate them and delete their settings"? I assume "the primary one" refers to a widget area. Can you explain or point me to instructions to access Template Control or Section Control for each page? Nothing within the "Edit This Page" area is labelled or identifiable to me as "Section Control"...Template Control location appears equally occult. Searching for "section control" I got 4 responses: none of them seem helpful: PlatformPro 1.3 is Here!, Privacy Policy, Introducing PlatformPro, and EcoPro info. I tried to access http://www.pagelines...ual-layout-maps, but it appears broken. Also, http://cdn.pagelines...turePageMap.jpg appears badly cropped, but it looks like the section is called "widgetized footer sidebars". Pagelines needs a tech writer to do semantic/glossary/lexicon documentation, IMO.

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

Are you referring to the "Pages" widgets (the widget that contains your page listing)? If so, you should just be able to drag it out of the right side in the Widgets page to disable it.

#5 burntsynapse

burntsynapse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

According to kastelic: no, I'm referring to widget areas, but if you can share with me how one distinguishes "Pages" widgets from "widget areas" or widgets, I might be able to answer. Also, if you can explain or point me to instructions to access Template Control or Section Control for each page, it might be helpful.

#6 bevj

bevj

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

OKay, what I think you want is to remove a widget from your five column footer. Watch this video it might make sense of what is going on. http://screencast.com/t/7Wl39ZU9 The problem is that default settings are being display in the footer that's why you see no widgets in the five column footer widget. Default widget display is a wordpress thing that platform exploits in the custom code set up. So to remove the widget you want, you need to add your widget to the column, which unfortunately will mess up the whole thing, it's an easy fix using text widgets to recreate the footer as you want it. It may just take a little time. hopefully this adds to the discussion

#7 burntsynapse

burntsynapse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

OK, that procedure did kill the footer. :-S Shall I use a text widget to replace the small logo in the footer?

#8 bevj

bevj

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

Yes, yo can use text widgets the recreate the footer as desired. The footer sorts itself from left to right. So when you drag a widget into the footer section on the widgets screen the top most widget will start on the left and go right as you add them down, the sixth widget down rolls back over to the left making two rows. To get the logo on the left, it always needs to be the top widget in that footer widget area. The footer is also also pretty much divided up equally, so take that into note when you are creating a widget. This is an example of code I use to get a clickable image into the footer.
added class can help to control the element later, like dropping a shadow or adding a border, etc. a widget with text,

© Awesomeness sauce

amp#169 is the html code for the copyright symbol hopefully this is a start, bevj

#9 burntsynapse

burntsynapse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

OK, by using your fttr1 and removing width & height, I've got the logo back and plan to leave it at that for the time being. I feel this thread should be closed, with my thanks and gratitude, especially to bevj I feel I should open threads on: - The need for UI distinction between Widgets and Widget Areas; - The need for a Glossary where terms like "Template Control", "Section Control", "Page Widgets" are clearly defined and where appropriate: the means to access such things are provided; - Broken Pagelines links; - Graphical Errors similar to what was mentioned above re: footer widgets; I cannot help but notice that overall more issues were opened than were solved. Although my immediate problem was solved, the other issues that arose suggest that generally, PD and resolution involves much more work for PageLines folks than necessary. Thanks Again!