Photo

How to create the homepage as a feature page without posts but the post page on a extra page?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 leskah

leskah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:32 PM

I want to have the homepage as a feature page without posts but the post page on a extra page. I actually thought I can manage this through page attributes but there I can only choose the default template... I would be really happy if somebody can help as I can't find a solution for this in the PageLines docs either...

#2 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 16392 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:13 PM

If I understand you correctly, simply create a new page called "Homepage" and use the page template "Feature" and another new page called "Blog" the template for this one can be left as default, these page names can be called whatever you want though. Once there created, go to Wordpress admin >> Settings >> Reading, on the reading settings page, right at the top there is a section called Front page display, with two drop downs. One for Front page and the other Posts page. On the Front page drop down, select your newly created Homepage and for the Posts page, use your newly created Blog page. Click save changes. Now, the feature template uses the sections "Pagelines Feature, Pagelines Boxes and Content Area", if you're not planning on using this template for anything else apart from your Homepage, then simply drag and remove the Pagelines Boxes and Content Area. If you're planning on using this template in the future for other pages then do the following to create a new template for sole use as a homepage. First things first go to functions.php Find this line of code: // OVERRIDE SECTION TEMPLATES --------// add above this: // Add Homepage if ( function_exists( 'pagelines_add_page' ) ) pagelines_add_page('homepage', 'Homepage'); Save functions.php Then using your favourite text editor, create a new file and add this code:

#3 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

leskah, did dannyh's solution work for you?

#4 leskah

leskah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

This was really great help! Thanks @dannyh!

#5 cloniemyrl1926

cloniemyrl1926

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

catrina, thanks this was very helpful for me also. I had spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. darrell

#6 alloydigital

alloydigital

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

I had gotten this far myself but what if I want to make a custom text content area for inside the Homepage template, can you instruct me how to do that?

#7 Rob

Rob

One Smart Egg

• Members
  • 13575 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Framework Version:The Latest, of course

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

Alloy, please open a new discussion forum with specifics about your goal and a link to your site and any examples of what you wish. Thanks.