Photo
- - - - -

Newbie CSS question - How to use custom CSS to ignore a style (not replace)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jager

jager

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Here's my problem: This is what's currently in style.css: .hentry table td, #comments table td { padding-bottom: 0.35em; padding-left: 0.6em; padding-right: 0.6em; padding-top: 0.35em; text-align: center; } I want it to actually be: .hentry table td, #comments table td { padding-bottom: 0.35em; padding-left: 0.6em; padding-right: 0.6em; padding-top: 0.35em; } If I put that into the custom.css, it still takes the "text-align: center" from style.css... I want the page to determine the td alignment - not an overriding decision for my entire site. Any clues how to do that? Am I making a bad assumption some where? All I know is if I don't edit style.css (apparently a no-no) and remove the "text-align:center" bit, all the tables on my site look pretty terrible :) If I do align it they look better. As a point of reference, I'm talking about:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Thanks! -Jager

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

Why don't you try adding

to replace

in your Custom CSS code?

#3 jager

jager

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Yep I tried it, that seemed to fix some problems but didn't fix other problems. It seems like no matter what CSS option I put there it breaks something somewhere else... whereas if it's completely removed, everything seems to render correctly.

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

If it's really important, you can just remove text-align: center; from the style.css stylesheet. The reason why this is a no-no is because when you upgrade the theme, that stylesheet is going to be overwritten and you're going to lose the change you've made, so it's important for you to remember to add the change again after you update the theme.