18 replies to this topic

#1 strategicblend

strategicblend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

Somehow my previous thread got marked as "answered," when in fact wasn't. Since there was no way to undo that setting, I am reposting here. For some reason, Platform Pro disables and/or hides the "featured image" box on all pages. I already checked the screen options, and it doesn't even appear there as being clickble. Why does this happen? The answer presented here: http://www.pagelines...on-posts#Item_3 only addresses the multi-site setup. It does not apply to a single site, as I don't have the Network admin option. Is there a solution for single-site?

#2 kastelic

kastelic

Advocate

• Members

• 3081 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

Go to New Post and then at the top, click Screen Options. Is "Featured Image" checked? If so, and you still don't have the options, disable all plugins and check again. If it appears, turn them on one by one to find the culprit.

#3 strategicblend

strategicblend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:17 AM

Tried all that - Platform Pro hides and negates the "featured image" option completely on pages. When I use another theme (TwentyTen for example) this doesn't happen.

#4 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

Just responded again to your other thread. Please try not to start more than one thread on the same topic, as it makes following up and helping you out more difficult.

#5 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

By default only posts have featured images.
To add pages use this in functions.php

add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails', array( 'post', 'page' ) );

#6 strategicblend

strategicblend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

Kate - thanks, but the other thread got marked as "answered" by the forum, when it had not been. As a result it was falling off the radar.

#7 strategicblend

strategicblend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

Pross - no, this is incorrect. Wordpress, by default gives pages the featured image option.

#8 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

By default I mean the theme not wordpress, by default none are registered, the theme has to do it.

#9 strategicblend

strategicblend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

Why wouldn't you keep it included in the theme by default? It's a core WP feature that should be available.

#10 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

OK as it is, how do you display the featured image on your page? Yes it is a core WP feature that is enabled by default by the theme, for posts.

#11 strategicblend

strategicblend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

As it is, I can't. That's the point of my question. Why doesn't the theme automatically include page featured images? That should really be something already coded in (not added later, as you mention above).

#12 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

Your missing the point, where is your page going to display this featured image? Posts use a featured image on the blog page, next to the title of the post, especially in magazine mode, they are also used in the feature slider, it pulls the image again from posts with featured images. Pages do not display featured images. So if you explain how you are going to use it then maybe we can accommodate it.

#13 strategicblend

strategicblend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

I have several uses for this.... 1 - I'm doing a custom portfolio on the home page and need to render featured images as thumbnails with custom CSS UI. 2 - I'm aggregating pages into a Discography section of website, and need featured images to render the album covers 3 - I'm aggregating an "about us" page and need featured images to create a directory of employee profile pics. The list goes on and on. But you still haven't answered my question - why isn't this already coded and included in the theme? Any default theme for Wordpress keeps this functionality in. Platform Pro removes it. Why?

#14 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

I'm not trying to be argumentative here. You are giving examples of custom functionality there. By default the theme cannot display feature images on pages, even if you enable them and add one, view the page, there is no code in there to view it. So if we enable it for pages, the forum will fill up with 'where is my featured image' posts. If we do the standard call for post-thumbnails which enables posts and pages, all post types get it, including banners, features and boxes. They obviously dont display them either which is why by default the theme is set to just posts. As I already said earlier its a simple one line in your child theme to override it.

#15 strategicblend

strategicblend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

Ahh, at last. Thanks!

#16 jameschoung

jameschoung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

I'm using Pagelines, and the code that Prosser suggested didn't work for me. Is it a different code for Pagelines?

#17 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

If you mean PageLines Framework, you dont need any code, featured images are enabled for posts and pages anyway.

#18 trassel

trassel

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

If you mean PageLines Framework, you dont need any code, featured images are enabled for posts and pages anyway.

My featured image on page don't work!!!

#19 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

trassel If you have an issue please open a new topic in the correct forum. This thread is very old and not monitored.

Apologies to the original postor for the thread getting bumped.

• trassel likes this