Photo
- - - - -

Carousel on frontpage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 creatov

creatov

Advanced Member

• Members

• 56 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:34 AM

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the carousel with post thumbnails (like on this page) or the highlight box (like on this page) on the blog front-page. Is there any way to make this work?
This is my site http://www.creatov.nl and I'm using EcoPro theme.
Thanks for helping me out!

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

You can add this to the top of your _posts.php file <?php require(PRO.'/template_highlight.php');?> but you will also have to modify the css for the highlight section on this page.

#3 creatov

creatov

Advanced Member

• Members

• 56 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:17 AM

Hmmz, that is indeed not that simple by just adding a line to this file. I cannot see now how to make this "presentable". In iBlogPro I did something like that with the highlight element and the feature element, where I defined standard the latest posts under the highlight element. See the landing-page of this site. But the definition of EcoPro isn't the same as iBlogPro so I wasn't able to do this the same.

#4 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

Yo man sup? Of course we can figure this out :) try adding this to your index.php file. ` if(is_home()) include(PRO.'/template_carousel.php'); else require(THEME_LIB.'/_spotlight.php'); ` note: untested. also this should replace the call to _spotlight in this template.

#5 creatov

creatov

Advanced Member

• Members

• 56 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

Normally you're setting the carousel up with NextGen, Flickr or last posts... This is now not there so the site is sayingL

You have selected the carousel page template but the plugins aren't activated for the selected mode (either NextGen-Gallery or FlickrRSS). Options are set in page options. Default mode is FlickrRSS.

Is there an option I can give in the carousel is using the last blog posts?!

Thanks for helping me out. With the carousel on the frontpage I hope to have a more dynamic and attractive landingpage.

#6 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

ok, we can do this! try changing this code in `template_carousel.php`: `if(m_pagelines('carousel_mode', $post->ID) == 'posts'):?>` to this: `if(is_home() || m_pagelines('carousel_mode', $post->ID) == 'posts'):?>` should take care of the issue at hand.

#7 creatov

creatov

Advanced Member

• Members

• 56 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

Every time a step closer... It's working, but the carousel is not in the proper top-line. This is a CSS issue I think. Do you have a quick suggestion for this matter?

Posted Image

btw thanks for the quick replies!

#8 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:48 AM

What do you mean it's not on the proper top line? If there is an html element above where you want it, it won't be a css fix but a reordering of html. Please explain.

#9 creatov

creatov

Advanced Member

• Members

• 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

Well, as you see in the image, the thumbs are not in the horizontal line as normal in the carousel, but ordered top-down without the dynamic element. Right now this is in the right position with the images and the links, but not the small top line with the square images in horizontal line. Do you understand it right now?

#10 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

What is the page in question? I looked at your site and can't find the page that is messing up. Can you link give us a specific link.

#11 creatov

creatov

Advanced Member

• Members

• 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

Well... I disable this directly, because it isn't working proper. Because I want to have the site proper working.

I've to setup a separate site to test live. http://test.creatov.nl
UPDATE: this is a test environment with the code in the index.php and template_carousel.php as described. Hope this helps...

#12 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:33 PM

hey buddy, I have the answer. The initialization for the Carousel isn't being loaded in the header (e.g. the js and css) just change this code: `` to this: `` to load it on your blog page (the is_home() is wp's term for home)

#13 creatov

creatov

Advanced Member

• Members

• 56 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

Yo man, thanks!! This is working now on Creatov.nl. Think I love it :)