• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 msigel

msigel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

Hello, This seems like such a painfully stupid question, but I can't seem to find answers anywhere. I am trying to insert several pictures into a page . . . each picture will link to another page. I would like to lay out the photos on the original page in a grid or table layout (i.e. two or three across, by two or three high). Is there an easy way to do this w/o a ton of HTML manipulation? THANK YOU!!!!

#2 kastelic

kastelic

Advocate

• Members

• 3081 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:42 PM

As long as they are small enough if you set one to "left" and one to "right" they will sit side by side, and for three in a row, set them all to "left".

#3 msigel

msigel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:35 AM

Hi - Thanks for getting back to me. Still struggling with this. I figured out that simply putting in a gallery would solve most of the issues; however, it's not. Biggest issue with the gallery setting is that clicking the picture only opens the picture larger, and doesn't open another page like I want it to. Also, would like the gallery pictures to be bigger, but I am guessing that is solvable? Regarding your idea, I could probably live two on a row, but even that I can't make happen. The alignment gets all out of whack . . . have tried inserting the pics in a variety of ways, but they always end up not aligning properly. Very frustrating. - Mark

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

Biggest issue with the gallery setting is that clicking the picture only opens the picture larger, and doesn't open another page like I want it to.

It's possible for the images to open in another new page, but there are two ways it can open: displayed as a larger size in the same page (if the image thumbnail is clicked) and opened in a completely new page (when the direct image URL is opened). There is also a way to change the number of columns in a grid.

All of the above can be altered using the gallery shortcode shown here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

If you let me know what you want specifically (number of columns, where you want the images to link to, etc.), I can help you with what shortcode to use.

#5 msigel

msigel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

Catrina, Thank you for getting back to me . . . in pouring over the forums way more then I would like, I have always found your answers to be the clearest and most helpful!! At some point last night, I figured out how to get done what I wanted to happen . . . the specific page that was the issue is here:

You will see when you click one of the "labels" at the bottom, it opens another page with a gallery of photos . . . this is what I wanted to accomplish. In thinking more about it, I would rather have it pop up a gallery and stay on the same page (along with thumbs) similar to what it does when you click on a standard picture on another page (here is an example of what I call standard):

So, ideally the first URL that I gave you, when you clicked the images would open a pop up like it does in the second URL, but also have the thumbs available. Possible? Thanks, Mark P.S. If you send me your address I will be happy to send you some cookies as a thank you!!

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

Ahhh, I see now. Did you set up the gallery in the second page URL yourself or did someone else do it? In the second page, the gallery that is set up uses Lightbox (an image plugin that allows the little windows to pop up). If you open the page where that gallery is and see how it's set up, you can replicate it in the first page URL. If you go to your Plugins page, can you tell me the exact title of the Lightbox plugin that's there so that I can give you correct instructions on how to implement the gallery? Also, you are so kind! You don't need to send me cookies. A simple "thank you" really is enough. :)

#7 msigel

msigel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

Hi, First off, are you sure about the cookies? They're really good. Regarding the pictures . . . the second page URL that I think you are referring to is using Portfolio Slideshow Pro as a plugin to drive it. I understand what you are saying regarding the lightbox popping up . . . that is what I am trying to achieve while staying on the Packaging page along as it also has the thumbnails. The page titled Cookies is just using the built in Wordpress Gallery function which is fine for this page. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! - Mark

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

Ahhh, I see. So the Cookies page (with the WordPress Gallery function) actually uses no Lightbox plugin or any other plugin at all? I just want to make sure. The first step for the Packaging page is to actually not use the Portfolio Slideshow Pro function so that it can replicate the Cookies page.

#9 msigel

msigel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hi, Yes, we are on the same page. I am fine with not using Portfolio Slideshow Pro, but the challenge that I was having is it was only way I could put in a link for it to go to a gallery of several images . . . when I tried doing that with the standard gallery function, it only allows you to do the lightbox page, or open another window (I think, can't remember exactly). I know how to do it when it's a stand alone image like I have now in the packaging area, but again, once I put those images in a gallery I lose that ability to get it to open a lightbox with several images (each of the "labels" has its own set of images). Hopefully that is clear . . . - Mark

#10 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

Ah, I see, so you want an image you click on to go to a separate gallery. If that's the case, then why don't you set up a gallery in a page filled with the images that will each link to their respective galleries so that those galleries can open in a completely separate page, and those images can open inside the Lightbox. Does that make sense?

#11 msigel

msigel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

I think it makes sense, but just to be clear, here is what I am trying to achieve: Single Page Within that single page, two or three "groups of pictures" Clicking on any of those individual pictures within that group of pictures would open up a lightbox. Within that lightbox that opens, you would see that picture, along with many new ones. Example: A cars page. You have one part of the page labeled fancy cars. Within the fancy cars, you have three pictures, one of a BMW, Mercedes, and Jaguar. If you click any of those images, it opens up the a lightbox and there are additional pictures of that particular car. Later on the page you would have Average Cars with a Buick, Oldsmobile, and Dodge . . . same functionality. Make sense? - Mark

#12 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

I see what you mean, but the way Lightbox is set up, there can only be one image in the pop-up window. There can't be any other images in that single pop-up (not even thumbnails). I think a different plugin will need to be used to accomplish that.

#13 msigel

msigel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

Yep, we are on the same page, but it doesn't sound like it's going to happen for me. Thanks for your help though!!!! - Mark