• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 marcnaugler

marcnaugler

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Framework Version:2.3.3

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

The Platform Pro theme is working beautifully for my client, however, I need to incorporate their blog into the site as well. They want the blog accessible from the main nav and I do not know how to get that to work. There are other threads that kind of address this topic, but I haven't found the answer I need yet, so forgive my questions related to something you may have answered a dozen times already. What is the best approach to getting a page (section) of the website to appear as a blog, work as a blog, and yet not have to affect the entirety of the site as a whole?

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

You want to link to an external blog, is that right?

#3 marcnaugler

marcnaugler

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:33 PM

No. The client wants the website to work both as their main website AND their blog.

#4 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators
  • 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.0

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:38 PM

You have 2 choices: #1 style website and in the nav link to /blog then install wordpress to /blog and style it to fit in with rest of site. #2 install wordpress normally create pages in wordpress for site, set homepage as static page in wordpress settings, then create separate blog page so blog posts still go to /blog/

#5 marcnaugler

marcnaugler

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

I've created a "page" titled Blog, that now rests in my main nav. If I style the blog/post settings in the style I want, say, magazine style, and start adding posts that I want the "Blog" to pull from, how do I get them to show up on the "Blog" page that is in the main nav? Is there an <href> line of code to add to the main content area that will do this?

#6 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

It should do it automatically if you have that page set as the "blog page" in the WordPress Settings > Reading options.

#7 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

Adam, I'm confused. At

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I've created a "homepage" to be my static front page in the Reading Settings. This page is also a "Feature" page that I've organized in the Pagelines settings in order of "Features-Content-Full Width Sidebar." I would like the latest posts to show up under the Features but can't seem to get that to work. What am I missing? Thanks, Joel

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:47 AM

If it's a static page that you created by setting a default page, posts by default won't show.

This page is also a "Feature" page that I've organized in the Pagelines settings in order of "Features-Content-Full Width Sidebar."

Are you referring to the Template Setup? If so, I think you can enable the post content in this template...

#9 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:46 AM

Catrina, Yes I did set the page up that way in the template section. If I can enable the posts how do I do that. Any help would be great.

#10 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

The "Main Content" section is what you should enable to allow posts to show.

#11 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Excuse my ignorance by where is that found. I'm looking, looking, looking. :-) On the page that is set at the home page there is a "main content" option that says "Hide Main Content (The Loop - Required)" but nothing that says "show" still looking

#12 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

Ah, sorry. I thought you set this page up in template setup and were looking at that. To add post content to a page, go to Settings > Template Setup > Custom Page. Enable "Content Area" in that content and then wait for the template to save. Go to the page editor for the page you set as static and on the right side, somewhere under the save/publish option, there's a dropdown menu called "Template" and in there you can select the "Custom Page" template. Save the page.

#13 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

Okay. 1) I go to the Pagelines button on the left to access the settings 2) I go to Template Setup 3) Then to "select template area" 4) no Custom Page available.... Do I need to make a page called "Custom Page" and upload it?

#14 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

There should be a Custom Page in the list provided. It is under the category "Page Templates" in the dropdown as a default.

#15 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

The list provided give me: - Default Page - Post Pages (tried this but it's not one of the options in when in the page.) - 404 Page - Single Post - Feature Page - Carousel Page - BoxPate - Highlight Page - Banner Page That's all no "custom page" available

#16 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

Is this one of those time I'll have to use "the loop" function like here?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

If so where are the pages to download located.

#17 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:58 PM

you need to be more clear...is the blog ALSO on the main home page in addition to other feature page content? If so, then yes it's best to write a custom loop for this page otherwise you just have a blog page elsewhere on the site that will use the default blog assuming you have this page set as the blog page under SETTINGS > READING and ALSO this page is a default page template.

#18 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

Okay. 1) I created a page called "home" to use as a static page 2) On that page I gave it the Page Attribute "Features" 3) In the Platform Settings I went to Template Setup, pulled down the Select Template Area, chose Features Page. 4) The options that I drug over were Features, Content, and Full Width Sidebar. 5) That's it. I guess it was oversimplistic of me to assume that content would automatically show up. So I think I'll have to write that custom loop because 1) I need a static front page. 2) I have the running blog in another location, and 3) I'd like a few blogs to show up on that home page. Thanks for your time. I've been making little custom CSS mods all day with great success from all the forum posts.

#19 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Okay yes you will need the custom loop :) if you add a hook to your PlatformBase functions.php file you can easily add the loop. ` add_action('pagelines_inside_top_theloop,'custom_loop'); function custom_loop(){ if(is_front_page()): $myquery = new WP_Query('showposts=5'); while ($myquery->have_posts()) : $myquery->the_post(); the_title(); the_excerpt(); endwhile; endif; } ` Start with that and we'll go from there.

#20 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

added but get this error Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/p/r/i/prioritieshost/html/elevate/admin-assist/wp-content/themes/platformpro/functions.php on line 14 Now I can't make any changes to anything in the Appearance Editor area or banners or such. I tried to remove the new code and save but I guess that didn't work.