Photo

Customizing Search Results (PageLines)

Best Answer Danny , 15 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

If you wish to hide elements such as "Continue Reading" etc... you will need to use the searches body class. If you inspect your search page, the body class will have a few classes related to search. You can use these classes, to hide, style your search page without effecting your other pages.

If you inspect your search pages body class, you should see classes such as these:

search search-results

You can then inspect your continue reading link, get the class and then add it to your one of the search classes above and then use display:none property.

If you're still unsure, I recommend contacting one of our Pros - http://www.pagelines.com/pros/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mathew_peet

mathew_peet

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Framework Version:2.4

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

Hi Everyone, I am a relative new comer to everything Wordpress, and PageLines. I am trying to customize the actual search results page. Could someone point me in the direction of where I can actually make the search results page a little different from the current (default) set-up I have now? Thanks in advance, - Mathew

#2 kastelic

kastelic

Advocate

• Members

• 3081 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:48 PM

There are a number of ways to customize the search page but at this time, you can't edit a 'search template' separately from other templates, it just follows the format of the blog page. But with custom CSS you can do quite a lot. Let us know if you need help with specific edits.

#3 suzyo

suzyo

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

this is what i'm after, too! so, am i going to create new classes for the elements of the blog page? 

#4 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Suzy, if this is related to your taxonomy filter widget, I would recommend you contact the widgets developer before anything else.

What Kastelic is suggesting is not creating custom classes, but using the search page class in the body to manipulate the search page.

#5 suzyo

suzyo

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

hi, danny, thanks. i've already contact the dev, but there is more to it than that.

i want to style the search results by separating them with a line, changing the font, adding a subhead, blah blah blah.

now, as to using the search page class in the body to manipulate the search page...can you give me one example? thanks again.

#6 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

You're going to need to use custom CSS. Therefore, I recommend using Firebug or your browsers built-in web dev tools and inspect your search page to find the correct class/classes.

Although you're using Platform Pro and the custom CSS doc linked below, if for PageLines Framework, the principles are the same.

http://support.pagelines.me/docs/customization/custom-css/

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you the custom CSS needed to achieve your layout. If you're not comfortable with custom CSS or code. I recommend you contact one of our Pros for assistance 

http://www.pagelines.com/pros/

#7 suzyo

suzyo

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

well, of course that's what i'm doing. but i'm running into a dead-end, because everything i read says that i need to format search.php

for instance, i want to remove the "continue reading", and i want to be able to put an hr in between each result. i can't figure out how to do that.

i am working on a new class for the aside. pretty much stumped.

#8 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:10 AM   Best Answer

If you wish to hide elements such as "Continue Reading" etc... you will need to use the searches body class. If you inspect your search page, the body class will have a few classes related to search. You can use these classes, to hide, style your search page without effecting your other pages.

If you inspect your search pages body class, you should see classes such as these:

search search-results

You can then inspect your continue reading link, get the class and then add it to your one of the search classes above and then use display:none property.

If you're still unsure, I recommend contacting one of our Pros - http://www.pagelines.com/pros/

• suzyo likes this

#9 suzyo

suzyo

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

woo-hoo! i did it!

#10 Danny

Danny

Is Awesome!

• Moderators
  • 17015 posts