Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Excerpts- Spacing and/or Customization (WHP)

Question

9 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

I don't see any run-on text. It looks fine to me. Which browser are you viewing the site on? (I'm viewing on the latest Firefox for Mac)

Posted · Report post

I'm using the latest FF and Safari. Check out screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/eJWIR The top image is the single-post page, with proper spacing. The second image is from the blog/posts page. Do you see how the excerpt loses all spacing? 1) Does the excerpt understand hard line-spacing? 2) What about custom excerpts for WHP?

Posted · Report post

Wordpress strips the formatting from excerpts. There are probably excerpt plugins for more customized excerpts, or you could try something like this.

Posted · Report post

Thanks Tim. I'll check out plug-ins. I thought customizing excerpts was old news- why do I recall lots of themes having a box or short-code for that, and maybe I'm wrong, but I thought wordpress even supported custom excerpts. Am I crazy?

Posted · Report post

Hey Nick, You can use the "Custom Excerpt" box underneath the post edit screen. If you don't want to do that each time, then you would modify the post loop file, perhaps adding code for a plugin like "The Advanced Excerpt". (The line of code used for the plugin would basically take the place of the current code.)

Posted · Report post

I see now- the "Excerpt" field was switched off by default in WP 3.1. When using custom excerpt, I need to add the "Read More" code to the functions.php file, so I don't have to add the one-line of code to each custom excerpt. How can I add it to the custom code box for WhiteHousePro? Here is the code that should go in functions.php file; I want to put in the the custom code box- what do I need to add to get that to work from the custom code box?

function excerpt_read_more_link($output) {
	 global $post;
	 return $output . 'ID) . '"> Read More...';
	}
	add_filter('the_excerpt', 'excerpt_read_more_link');[/code]

Thanks! Nick

Posted · Report post

The Custom Code CSS rules box can only have CSS. It can't have PHP inside it. WhiteHousePro also has a functions.php file...

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the clarification. I was just trying not to edit edit files that might be reset with theme updates. I added the code above to the functions.php file. It "kills" the website and the broswer displays:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '"' in /home/aocpmr/public_html/wp-content/themes/whitehousepro/functions.php on line 20
Line 20 refers to the last line of code... Any thoughts? The code is from wordpress.org and should be correct..

Posted · Report post

Hi Nick, It's a syntax error in your code, on this line: `return $output . 'ID) . '"> Read More...';` Before we help you out with that, have you checked out this page: http://codex.wordpress.org/Customizing_the_Read_More From a quick glance at your code, it appears you're missing a bit ;)