• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mfelix55

mfelix55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hi everyone, I have the Platform Pro Dev theme installed and a bbpress forum. I have themed the forum with the Platform Theme. I would now like to customize/change the look of the bbpress forum. However, I do not see any options for doing so in either the wordpress or bbpress dashboards. I have activated the forum options in Platform Pro settings > Misc. Settings. As a simple example, I'd like to change the widgets in the forum sidebar. I feel like I am either misunderstanding something or I installed something incorrectly. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

Have you seen this documentation on customization?:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 mfelix55

mfelix55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Catrina. Just to be clear, the Platform Theme is activated for the forum. If I read your response and the link correctly, there is no interface that lets you make layout and design choices for bbpress. Is that correct? Thanks again.

#4 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:35 PM

You can control the look of the forum using CSS in Platform. To ensure that you've installed the forum correctly, please refer to this documentation:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#5 mfelix55

mfelix55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

Well, in reviewing the installation instructions on both of the links you have given me, I see that they're a little bit different. I followed the pagelines instructions and put the template in the bb-templates folder. I was then able to activate it from the administration dashboard. As expected, the header and color scheme, etc. for the forum were just like that on my blog. In the bbpress instructions from your first link, it says to install the theme in the my-templates folder. I did not do this. I just looked in my directory and I actually have both bb-templates and my-templates. The my-templates directory is currently empty. Could that be a potential problem? Thanks again.

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

If you've installed it according to the PageLines directions and the forum is working fine, you don't have to worry about the bbpress instructions. What are you trying to do with the widgets in the forum?

#7 mfelix55

mfelix55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

Well, there is a forum sidebar that I would like to edit. One issue is that it has a Pagelines Platform logo in it. Sorry for being relatively clueless here. When I look in my wordpress template setup, I don't see any template area that has this kind of sidebar...What kind of page would the main forum page be? Sorry if my vocabulary is off. Thanks

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

Can you post a link to your forum?

#9 mfelix55

mfelix55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

hysteresus.com/forum Thanks.

#10 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

In the images directory under bb-templates, you can upload your own PNG image but name the file default_image so that it overwrites the one that is currently there.

#11 mfelix55

mfelix55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:08 PM

Thank you. In a broader sense, there is no graphical interface that lets you make layout and design choices for bbpress. Is that correct? To be clear, if I wanted to change the widgets I have in the primary sidebar of my wordpress site, I would go to the wordpress dashboard, click on 'widgets' and go from there. It does not work the same way for bbpress, correct?

#12 kastelic

kastelic

Advocate

• Members

• 3081 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

No, it goes off of the same settings you have for your blog. If you want it to look differently, you have to use CSS to specifically target your forum elements.

#13 mfelix55

mfelix55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Catrina and Jimmy, Thanks for your responses. As a note, you can change the images in the forum by going to WP dashboard > Platform Pro > Forum settings. I don't know why I didn't see that earlier. Beyond that, there aren't too many easily configurable options. All of that being said, I've decided to uninstall bbpress standalone and go with the 2.0 plugin. Seems like a more forward-thinking strategy at this point. Thanks again.